Posted to dev@brpc.apache.org by Weibing Wang <ww...@apache.org> on 2022/04/18 09:55:55 UTC

[Discussion] Feature list of the next release (1.2.0)

Hello bRPC developers,

Since bRPC 1.1.0 has been released:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc/releases/tag/1.1.0
I would like to discuss with you what to include in the next release (1.2.0).

You can reply to this email with a list of features or bug fixes you
would like to include in the next release. You'd better give a reason
why it's important for the next release.

Let me start first, I think the following features are important for
the next release:
* arm64 support. We are encountering more and more arm scenarios, and
running server-side applications on arm64 is a trend. Related issue:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc/issues/1407
* New version gcc support. Currently master fails to compile in gcc
11.2.0 and 12.0.1, I think we need to fix it. Related issue:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc/issues/1693`

Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks
Weibing Wang

Re: [Discussion] Feature list of the next release (1.2.0)

Posted by Weibing Wang <ww...@apache.org>.
Multi-dimension bvar is a useful feature for generating metrics
compatible with prometheus. For many years, the Baidu search engine
system used a monitor agent to parse logs and generate metrics. After
they switch to multi-dimension bvar, they save a lot of CPU cost. I
think this feature is suitable for the next release.

For gRPC stream support, we have an ugly client-side implementation
now. It needs to be refactored for more common scenarios. And It needs
to be verified in production for more time. I think this feature is
not ready for release now.

Best regards,
Weibing Wang

Posted by Shuai Liu <se...@gmail.com>.