Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by An...@mn.man.de on 2004/06/29 11:38:13 UTC

Monitoring applications using Cactus

A question please ...

In my company the hotline uses the monitoring tool BigBrother (think of a
web-frontend with red or
green dots behind a hostname or an application reporting availability).
To monitor our web-applications we like to use standard cactus tests for
testing the availability of
any Backend-System (Database, LDAP, MQ-Series, IMS, etc.) used in an
application and from
within the application process.

The only problem I see at the moment is:

The client side has to notify the monitoring application about the status
of a test. In the case the
application is not available at all (f.e. server down) the cactus framework
does not give me any
chance to catch this exception (on the client side) and notify BigBrother.

Is it possible to catch the cactus exception

      ChainedRuntimeException: Failed to get the test results ... ?

Any other ideas?

Regards,

Toni

Anton Grimm
MAN Nutzfahrzeuge AG
IDP - Software Produktionsumgebungen
Dachauerstr.667
D - 80995 München

Fon:       +49-89-1580-1054
Fax:       +49-89-1580-4550
mailto:    Anton_Grimm@mn.man.de
Internet: http://www.man-trucks.com

This message and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender and delete this message and any attachment
from your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the
contents to any other person.

RE: Monitoring applications using Cactus

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Toni,

Honestly, I don’t think Cactus is the best tool for this. I would think more
about using a "JMX" kind of framework for this (search "application
monitoring" on google) or using AOP if you want to build it yourself (t's
very easy to develop some monitoring services using AOP).

-Vincent