Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Tony Dean <To...@sas.com> on 2012/06/04 01:15:04 UTC

how to run datanode in secure mode?

Why is there no documentation on how to run a datanode in secure mode?  Or have I just missed it.

I've searched and found bits and pieces, but shouldn't this information be in the security documentation?  Is security built into the documentation as well as the code!

Well, my current state is this:

1.      I understand that the datanode must use ports < 1k so it must run the threads doing this work as root.
2.      I set an environment variable: HADOOP_SECURE_DN_USER so that the datanode can swith to this user for normal work.
3.      This keeps me from getting the "Cannot start secure cluster without privileged resources" message.
4.      But, now I'm getting

03/06/2012 18:20:08 3809 jsvc.amd64 error: Invalid option -server
03/06/2012 18:20:08 3809 jsvc.amd64 error: Cannot parse command line arguments

Does anyone know how to get this to work?  I'm new to Hadoop/HBase, but the security documentation or lack thereof is a big turnoff.

I really appreciate any guidance here.

Thanks!

Tony Dean
SAS Institute Inc.