Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Judy Nash <ju...@exchange.microsoft.com> on 2015/03/05 22:59:40 UTC

RE: spark standalone with multiple executors in one work node

I meant from one app, yes.

Was asking this because our previous tuning experiment shows spark-on-yarn runs faster when overloading workers with executors (i.e. if a worker has 4 cores, creating 2 executors each use 4 cores will see a speed boost from 1 executor with 4 cores).

I have found an equivalent solution for standalone that have given me a speed boost. Instead of adding more executors, I overloaded SPARK_WORKER_CORES to 2x of CPU cores on the worker. We are seeing better performance due to CPU now has consistent 100% utilization.