Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Lionel Barth <lb...@hachette-livre.fr> on 2007/08/20 11:42:09 UTC

xml, msword and indesign

Hi,

I am looking for a cms that can handle xml, msword and indesign documents.
Precisely, I have differents teams working with each kind of document, not a
bunch of these.

Can Lenya handle this or can it just handle xml documents ?
Is the 'resource Module' designed for this use ?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Lionel

Re: xml, msword and indesign

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Lionel Barth wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am looking for a cms that can handle xml, msword and indesign documents.
>Precisely, I have differents teams working with each kind of document, not a
>bunch of these.

I guess you just want to manage these documents with Lenya, but not
really transform them, right?

I mean you would use Word to edit the msword and indesign to edit the
indesign document.
Or would you also want to transform the msword resp. indesign into XHTML?

>Can Lenya handle this or can it just handle xml documents ?
>Is the 'resource Module' designed for this use ?

yes, for any kind of data.

Cheers

Michael

>Thanks for any help.
>
>Regards,
>Lionel

Michael Wechner
Wyona      -   Open Source Content Management - Yanel, Yulup
http://www.wyona.com
michael.wechner@wyona.com, michi@apache.org
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: xml, msword and indesign

Posted by Lionel Barth <lb...@hachette-livre.fr>.
Andreas, Mickael,

Thanks for your answers.
>> I am looking for a cms that can handle xml, msword and indesign documents.
>> Precisely, I have differents teams working with each kind of document, not a
>> bunch of these.
>>

> Lenya is primarily designed as a web CMS. It enables you to publish
> XML-based content in various formats in a very flexible way.
>
> Do you want to publish these documents on the web, or just manage them
> collaboratively? In the latter case, Lenya might not be the best choice
> - you might be better off with a designated document management system
> (DMS).

The indesign and word documents are publish on paper, the xml documents
are intended for both paper and web publishing. In fact they are travel
guides, about 15 to 25 main documents per guide.
For the indesign and msword documents, I just need to manage them, the
editing will be done using indesign or msword.
>> Can Lenya handle this or can it just handle xml documents ?
>>

> It can handle arbitrary XML documents. If you want to edit the content
> of special (non-XHTML) documents with the WYSIWYG editor, you'll have
> to do some integration work.
>
>> Is the 'resource Module' designed for this use ?
>>

> The resource module allows to upload binary data as documents. Lenya can
> manage these documents, but in order to edit them, you need external
> software (an Office suite etc.).
>
> Can you give us some more information about the intended use of the
> CMS/DMS?

The msword documents will be converted to xml in the next few years,
this is about 130 books (travel guides).
I would like to share a common way to manage the documents, so the
people will not be completly lost when they work on a title made in
msword or already converted to xml.
The team working with indesign has the same kind of requirements of
workflow, repository, revisions...
If it is possible it would be easier to use the same solution to manage
the documents.

Regards,
Lionel

Re: xml, msword and indesign

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Lionel,

Lionel Barth schrieb:
> I am looking for a cms that can handle xml, msword and indesign documents.
> Precisely, I have differents teams working with each kind of document, not a
> bunch of these.

Lenya is primarily designed as a web CMS. It enables you to publish
XML-based content in various formats in a very flexible way.

Do you want to publish these documents on the web, or just manage them
collaboratively? In the latter case, Lenya might not be the best choice
- you might be better off with a designated document management system
(DMS).

> Can Lenya handle this or can it just handle xml documents ?

It can handle arbitrary XML documents. If you want to edit the content
of special (non-XHTML) documents with the WYSIWYG editor, you'll have
to do some integration work.

> Is the 'resource Module' designed for this use ?

The resource module allows to upload binary data as documents. Lenya can
manage these documents, but in order to edit them, you need external
software (an Office suite etc.).

Can you give us some more information about the intended use of the
CMS/DMS?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO