Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <co...@decus.org> on 1997/01/20 00:18:41 UTC

Re: UserDir

    Sean,

>I compiled Apache 1.2b4 with the UserDir module thing in the Configuration
>file. I setup the config files to look for users' html in public_html:
>
>--------------------- srm.conf
># UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's home
># directory if a ~user request is recieved.
>
>UserDir public_html
>--
>but when I go to the webserver:
>(50) root@zombie:~# lynx zombie/~kkms/
>
>I get:
>                                                     404 File Not Found
>                                File Not Found
>
>   The requested URL /~kkms/ was not found on this server.
>
>Is this a bug? I put an index.html in ~kkms/public_html too.

    It looks as though you have things set up correctly; that's how I do
    things on my server.  It works fine for me using 1.2b4.  My
    suggestion at this point would be to try it again and immediately
    take a look at your server's error_log, which should have a much
    more complete description of why the *server* thought it should
    return this error.

    You did restart or send an HUP to the server after adding this
    directive, didn't you?  Just checking; that sometimes bites me.. ;-)

    #ken    :-)}