Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@sc.com> on 2004/02/11 07:48:22 UTC

tclsh8.4 make.tcl install blows away /usr/local/lib/rivet?

Hey, good thing I wasn't root.  How long has "make.tcl install" been
set up to annihilate /usr/local/lib/rivet?

Isn't it still the custom to put local packages in
/usr/local/lib/rivet/packages-local?

This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.  Comments?

KL

Re: tclsh8.4 make.tcl install blows away /usr/local/lib/rivet?

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ok, we'll let's pull that change...

... done.

I think I had added it after I got burned by some cruft building up
there, but if people are using that directory for local changes, that
outweighs any tidyness considerations.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: tclsh8.4 make.tcl install blows away /usr/local/lib/rivet?

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com>.
> You know what?  This must be a damonism from when he put together our
> (Superconnect's) framework.  ...idea was that a user's packages would
> go in ...rivet/packages-local and the system rivet packages would be in
> ...rivet/packages.

    I'm not sure if "damonism" is used in a good way or a bad way. 0-]
The idea was that local packages could go in a place that our install
would never touch.  The same goes for local code.  It was kinda'
swiped from NWS (though NWS never really did packages much), and I
liked the idea, so I added it.

    Can you guys think of a better way to do it?  I'm not married to
it.  We probably should, at the very least, update the install to
do a little checking before proceeding.  Apache has certain
directories (IE: conf) that it doesn't mess with if they already
exist.  Maybe we should do the same.

    Though, if people are dilligent about putting their local code
in local packages and the like, we can probably be a little cleaner.
*shrug*  I'm like Karl.  I have lots of code in rivet/packages that
is custom.  I woulda' blown my stuff away too if I had installed
the new version. 0-]

Re: tclsh8.4 make.tcl install blows away /usr/local/lib/rivet?

Posted by Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@sc.com>.
On Feb 11, 2004, at 2:13 AM, David N. Welton wrote:

> Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@sc.com> writes:
>
>> Hey, good thing I wasn't root.  How long has "make.tcl install" been
>> set up to annihilate /usr/local/lib/rivet?
>
> Almost a year.

Boy am I lucky.

>> Isn't it still the custom to put local packages in
>> /usr/local/lib/rivet/packages-local?
>
> I've always put Tcl packages in Tcl directories so that the system Tcl
> installation can find them.  Documentation doesn't mention
> packages-local either - maybe that's a custom from the NWS days that I
> didn't notice?

You know what?  This must be a damonism from when he put together our
(Superconnect's) framework.  ...idea was that a user's packages would
go in ...rivet/packages-local and the system rivet packages would be in
...rivet/packages.

>> This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.  Comments?
>
> Well, I'm willing to take it out, it just seemed to make for a
> cleaner, less crufty install.

I'm not sure.  People could lose any sort of site customizations.  I
know they shouldn't make them there.  But you know how it happens and,
like, how the apache install won't clobber httpd.conf or whatever --
the install is careful.

Yeah... sitting here, I think it's better to install over the top of
what's there in the target directory than to nuke the target and
reinstall from scratch.  I think that's the path of least surprise --
it's what I'm used to with packages built around GNU autoconf, and it
has the least bad outcome if anybody does do a site customization, or
whatever.

karl

Re: tclsh8.4 make.tcl install blows away /usr/local/lib/rivet?

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.