Posted to test-dev@httpd.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2002/04/07 06:09:55 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/lib/Apache TestServer.pm

dougm@apache.org wrote:
> dougm       02/04/06 18:14:40
>
>   Modified:    perl-framework/Apache-Test/lib/Apache TestServer.pm
>   Log:
>   this $SIG{CHLD} / $? status checking stuff does not work well on
>   solaris or hpux.  more often than not get:
>
>    waiting for server to start: 00:02
>    server has died with status 255 (please examine t/logs/error_log)
>    Terminated
>
>   and yet the server has started just fine, can run t/TEST -run and all
>   tests pass.
>   disabling this until somebody can make the code work properly on all
>   platforms.

That somebody doesn't have access to hpux/solaris to debug the problem.
Anybody to help me here.

Now that you've disable the SIGCHLD if something goes wrong, user will
have to wait for 60 secs before will be dropped to the shell.
Hmm, how about this approach:

change SIGCHLD to ping the server before checking the status? May not
work properly on slower machines.

Re: cvs commit: httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/lib/Apache TestServer.pm

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Doug MacEachern wrote:
> it is a nice feature when it works, so i've re-enabled for linux only.
> for the other platforms in the current state, its better to wait 60
> seconds if the server fails to start than to throw and error and die when
> it has successfully started.

that's a nice alternative :)
Hopefully those with access to platforms where it doesn't work, figure
out what's the problem.

Re: cvs commit: httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/lib/Apache

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 09:38:15AM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Haven't seen the patch yet, but for some systems it's the waitpid() call
> that seems weird.

Could it have something to do with how we're creating a new process group
after forking and killing the parent? I don't remember this happening
before my original -DNO_DETACH changes.

-aaron

Re: cvs commit: httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/lib/Apache TestServer.pm