Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2010/07/01 17:31:48 UTC

Documentation Versions and wiki

One of the problems of relying on a wiki for documentation is that it is hard to know which docs go with which version of the code.  To date, we've flagged things, but this only gets us so far and becomes a burden as more versions accumulate (see Solr).  Has anyone looked at Confluence's versioning capabilities?  I'm pretty sure we can start carving out version specific docs.  Might be good to start planning for this now.  I'm not super concerned about for 0.x, but once we hit 1.0, I think it would be wise to have a system in place that we can rely on.

Thoughts?

-Grant

Re: Documentation Versions and wiki

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On 03.07.2010 Robin Anil wrote:
> Javadoc is the best way to go in terms of versioned documentation. Wiki
> pages can link to each version. We haven't enforced package summary nor are
> the javadoc comments proofread to check whether they are clear enough for
> any developer to understand. So for 1.0 having package summaries and proof
> read javadoc should be a blocker. The way I see it, wiki will serve as a
> way to ease generation of the doc due to its open nature

Javadocs are fine for more experienced developers. However we do have some
"Getting started", "HowTo start individual algorithms" and such in the wiki that
would be nice to have for each release.

You are right in that the wiki lowers the bar for adding to the documentation,
however I think we should at least distribute some overview or getting started
with each release. Not sure this can (or even should) be covered in the Javadocs
alone.

Isabel

Re: Documentation Versions and wiki

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.
Javadoc is the best way to go in terms of versioned documentation. Wiki
pages can link to each version. We haven't enforced package summary nor are
the javadoc comments proofread to check whether they are clear enough for
any developer to understand. So for 1.0 having package summaries and proof
read javadoc should be a blocker. The way I see it, wiki will serve as a way
to ease generation of the doc due to its open nature

Robin

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.