Posted to user@abdera.apache.org by Joerg Erdmenger <jo...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/18 11:47:27 UTC

Couple of questions on Categories

Hi there,
I just started to work with abdera 0.4.0 and after finding out the hard way
that it has a fairly central bug (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ABDERA-167) it now works beautifully
:-)
Now, I want to use abdera to produce a news feed where users can subscribe
to different categories of news. I've seen in the Atom spec that feeds and
entries can be categorized and I've seen that one can specify patterns for
the categories document in the TargetResolver. Unfortunately I'm missing the
big picture how that is supposed to work out in the end and haven't been
able to find any abdera docs on that. Can somebody give me some pointers?
Can I implement multiple categories with one AbstractEntityCollectionAdapter
? Where does it get its category from to parametrize its entity query? Does
multiple categories automatically mean there are multiple feeds? Is there
any magic going on in abdera that auto-magically creates category documents
when entries are categorized?

Thanks for any help of helpful hints.

Also, is there any plan to prepare for a new release that fixes above
mentioned bug? And is it a good idea to use the full abdera servlet setup
for generating feeds or is it meant more as an instructional example? In
other words, would it be better practice to only use abdera to produce the
xml and then serve it by other means? Some highlevel mission statement would
help (or have I overlooked something).

Thanks

Jörg