Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Swithun Crowe <cs...@st-andrews.ac.uk.INVALID> on 2022/03/18 17:38:05 UTC

Misplaced vowels/dots in Hebrew text

Hello

I'm generating PDFs containing Hebrew text, but I've found that although the main characters appear in the correct order, the vowels/dots are all appearing too far to the right, and not above/below the letters they're supposed to be above/below.

This is a minimal FO document, which when run through FOP (version 2.3, OpenJDK 11.0.14), illustrates the issue:

  <fo:layout-master-set>
    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="a4" page-height="297mm" page-width="210mm" margin="2cm">
      <fo:region-body/>
    </fo:simple-page-master>
  </fo:layout-master-set>
  <fo:page-sequence master-reference="a4">
    <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
      <fo:block font-family="Shlomo" script="hebr">
        בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ׃

      </fo:block>
    </fo:flow>
  </fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

I've tried with a range of fonts, getting the same results, so I don't think that is the problem. And Arabic text comes out correctly.

Attached are the PDF output and a small PNG showing how the text is supposed to appear (when the same source file is run through XSLT to generate HTML instead of FO).

Has anyone encountered this and figured out what the solution is? Or is it known to be an existing issue?

Thanks for reading.

Swithun.