Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by stephen mulcahy <st...@deri.org> on 2009/06/10 14:56:07 UTC

maybe a bug in hadoop?

Hi,

I've been running some tests with hadoop in pseudo-distributed mode. My
config includes the following in conf/hdfs-site.xml

    <property>
      <name>dfs.data.dir</name>
      <value>/hdfs/disk1, /hdfs/disk2, /hdfs/disk3, /hdfs/disk4</value>
    </property>

When I started running hadoop I was disappointed to see that only
/hdfs/disk1 was created. It was only later I noticed that HADOOP_HOME
now contained the following new directories

HADOOP_HOME/ /hdfs/disk2
HADOOP_HOME/ /hdfs/disk3
HADOOP_HOME/ /hdfs/disk4

I guess any leading spaces should be stripped out of the data dir names?
Or maybe there is a reason for this behaviour. I thought I should
mention it just in case.

Thanks,

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, DI2, Digital Enterprise Research Institute,
NUI Galway, IDA Business Park, Lower Dangan, Galway, Ireland

Re: maybe a bug in hadoop?

Posted by Michele Catasta <mi...@deri.org>.
Hi,

> This seems to already be addressed by

Thanks for the pointer, I just submitted a trivial patch for it.

Best,
  Michele

Re: maybe a bug in hadoop?

Posted by stephen mulcahy <st...@deri.org>.
Hi,

Re: maybe a bug in hadoop?

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
Hey Stephen,

Re: maybe a bug in hadoop?

Posted by stephen mulcahy <st...@deri.org>.

Re: maybe a bug in hadoop?

Posted by Tim Wintle <ti...@teamrubber.com>.
On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 13:56 +0100, stephen mulcahy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been running some tests with hadoop in pseudo-distributed mode. My
> config includes the following in conf/hdfs-site.xml
>
>     <property>
>       <name>dfs.data.dir</name>
>       <value>/hdfs/disk1, /hdfs/disk2, /hdfs/disk3, /hdfs/disk4</value>
>     </property>
>
> When I started running hadoop I was disappointed to see that only
> /hdfs/disk1 was created. It was only later I noticed that HADOOP_HOME
> now contained the following new directories
>
> HADOOP_HOME/ /hdfs/disk2
> HADOOP_HOME/ /hdfs/disk3
> HADOOP_HOME/ /hdfs/disk4
>
> I guess any leading spaces should be stripped out of the data dir names?
> Or maybe there is a reason for this behaviour. I thought I should
> mention it just in case.

I thought I'd double check...

$touch \ file\ with\ leading\ space
$touch file\ without\ leading\ space
$ ls
 file with leading space
file without leading space

... so stripping it out could mean you couldn't enter some valid
directory names (but who has folders starting with a space?)

I'm sure my input wasn't very useful, but just a comment.

Tim Wintle