Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Prasenjit Mukherjee <pr...@aol.com> on 2006/03/06 07:01:44 UTC

Distributed Lucene..

I already have an implementation of a distributed crawler farm, where
crawler instances are runnign on different boxes. I want to come up with
a distributed indexing scheme using lucene and take advantage of the
distributed nature of my crawlers' distributed nature. Here is what I am
thinking.

Crawlers will analyze and tokenize the content for every URLs(aka
Documents) and create the following data for every url document:
<url-id,  <field1, <term-f1-t1,term-f1-t2,term-f1-t3 etc.>>   <field-2,
<term-f2-t1,term-f2-t2,term-f2-t3, >>  ...... >

And then based on some partitioning function the carwlers can send a
subset of tokens(aka terms)  to the indexing server. The partitioning
function can be as simple as based on the starting character of the
terms.  Lets say if we have 5 indexers, we will distribute the indexing
data in the following manner :

Indexer1 - a-e
Indexer2 - f-j
Indexer3 - k-o
Indexer4 - p-t
Indexer5 - u-z

Does it make any sense ? Also would like to know if there are other ways
to distribute lucene's indexing/searching  ?

thanks,
prasen

Re: Distributed Lucene..

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
Prasenjit Mukherjee wrote:
> I think nutch has a distributed lucene implementation. I could have
> used nutch straightaway, but I have a different crawler, and also dont
> want to use NDFS(which is used by nutch) . What I have proposed
> earlier is basically based on mapReduce paradigm, which is used by
> nutch as well.
>
> It would be nice to get some articles specifically detailing out  the
> distributed architecture used in nutch.

A few comments:

* you can use your own crawler, and then only write some glue code to
convert the output of that crawler to the format that Nutch uses.

* Nutch can be run in a so called "local" mode, without using NDFS

* the core map-reduce and I/O functionality has been split to its own
project, Hadoop, where the development is taking place at a furious rate
;-) This code is completely independent of Nutch or Lucene. You can
implement your own data processing using this framework.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: Distributed Lucene..