Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Roger Leigh <rl...@codelibre.net> on 2020/06/07 16:11:26 UTC

Release announcement: Xalan-C++ 1.12

Dear all,

I am pleased to announce the release of Xalan-C++ 1.12. The focus of
this release was stability and compatibility, incorporating a number
of critical bugfixes which were previously applied as patches to
Xalan-C++ 1.11 by distributors, and updates to support current C++
standards and compilers.  The majority of changes are bugfixes or
portability improvements.  We additionally added a CMake build system
to replace both the multiple project files for Visual Studio and the
Autoconf build with a single build system which supports all platforms.
A list of the changes may be found at the end of this email, and also
at https://apache.github.io/xalan-c/releases.html

Downloads:

* https://downloads.apache.org/xalan/xalan-c/sources/
* https://github.com/apache/xalan-c/releases/tag/Xalan-C_1_12_0 (copy of
downloads)
* http://archive.apache.org/dist/xalan/xalan-c/sources/ (pending
automated sync)

Documentation:

* http://xalan.apache.org/xalan-c/index.html
* https://apache.github.io/xalan-c/ (new location)

Supported platforms:

* FreeBSD-12 with LLVM 8
* Linux and GCC 7.4 and GCC 9.3
* MacOS and Xcode 9.4
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2019
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2017
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2015

Any platform which can run CMake and has a standard C++ compiler should
be able to build Xalan-C++.  The above are the platforms covered by our
Travis and AppVeyor CI testing, as well as developers' systems.

Errata:

* Cygwin and MinGW are not functional in this release without making
   some manual source modifications.  See
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-803 for a suggested
   (but untested by us) MinGW fix

Distributors should note the following:

* There is no longer a top-level /c/ directory in the release archives
* runConfigure no longer exists; please use CMake
* Documentation is no longer provided as an archive; please generate
   the doxygen documentation with the "doc-api" target, and HTML can be
   generated from the GitHub markdown with a suitable generator tool
* Tests may be run with "ctest"; they don't currently use xalan-test
   but you can do this yourself if desired

Your feedback is both desired and appreciated.  This is the first
Xalan-C++ release for some years, and if you encounter any portability
problems or bugs on systems we have not tested, we would like to
know so we can fix them as soon as possible.  Likewise if you find
any missing or broken functionality.

Kind regards,
Roger Leigh

## Major changes

The focus of this release is stability and compatibility.  The majority
of changes are bugfixes or portability improvements.

* Xerces-C++ versions 3.0 and newer are supported. Xerces-C++
   Version 3.2.3 is the preferred stable release.
* Addition of a CMake build for all supported platforms.
* Rewrite of StyleBook XML documentation in Markdown, hosted at
[https://apache.github.io/xalan-c/](https://apache.github.io/xalan-c/).
* Removal of MacOS and Windows project files for old IDE versions.
* Removal of Autoconf build.
* Xalan-C++ now supports Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 and earlier
   via the new CMake build, which replaces the old version-specific
   project and solution files.
* Xalan-C++ now also supports building with C++11, C++14 and C++17.
* Cygwin and MinGW are known to be nonfunctional in this release.
   Restoring full support will be a goal for 1.13.

## Issues resolved

### Bug

* [XALANC-751](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-751):
Segmentation fault in TestXSLT
* [XALANC-773](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-773): Build
failure with Xerces-C++ 3.2.0 and VS2015
* [XALANC-787](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-787): Drop
MacOS and Windows project files
* [XALANC-788](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-788): Drop
Autoconf build
* [XALANC-789](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-789): Check
CMake build correctly versions libraries on all platforms
* [XALANC-790](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-790): Ensure
CMake is using the library rc files for both libraries
* [XALANC-792](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-792):
Replace StyleBook documentation with a supported equivalent
* [XALANC-793](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-793): CMake
build should install pkg-config file
* [XALANC-794](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-794):
XalanTransform does not transform anything
* [XALANC-795](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-795): CMake
CTest should run all samples as well as unit tests
* [XALANC-797](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-797):
Generate XalanVersion.hpp
* [XALANC-798](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-798): Remove
use of version.incl
* [XALANC-799](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-799): Remove
use of winres.h in XalanMsgLib.rc
* [XALANC-800](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-800): Add
CMake feature tests to replace specific platform definitions
* [XALANC-801](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-801): Enable
AppVeyor CI for Windows
* [XALANC-805](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-805): Apply
outstanding critical fixes
* [XALANC-806](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-806): C++98
and C++11 support
* [XALANC-807](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-807): CMake
build unconditionally adds debug postfix with MSVC

### Improvement

* [XALANC-776](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-776): Add
CMake build system
* [XALANC-777](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-777): Remove
redundant XALAN_SGI_BASED_STL macro
* [XALANC-778](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-778): Use
anonymous namespace for private time compatibility functions
* [XALANC-779](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-779): Use
xercesc namespace unconditionally
* [XALANC-780](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-780): Use
xalanc namespace unconditionally