Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2007/03/28 23:22:42 UTC

Re: confluence (was: We're near the release of 1.0 final)

(moving to main dev list as scope has increased)

On 28/03/2007, at 11:16 PM, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:
> We'd can use the codehaus wiki for our dev/design pages and for
> users pages we'd can use the cwiki with the autoexport and the
> maven css to include the content in our site.
> I think it would be good to do it for our other products, so we'd
> can create easily cookbooks, but this ML isn't the place to discuss
> it ;)

Similar to what Emmanuel suggested, how about we move *all* the
current spaces to cwiki, avoiding any further fragmentation, and in
fact removing the current fragmentation between the apache site and
the codehaus confluence, as well as getting all of the above benefits?

Before biting the bullet we can do a trial with this single SCM page.

What do folks think?

Cheers,
Brett

Re: confluence (was: We're near the release of 1.0 final)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Mar 29, 2007, at 6:19 PM, Jeff Jensen wrote:

> Just not understanding yet the Maven
> plans for wiki/site usage.  My fear, obviously, is continued
> "separate"
> works, as some people I helped with Maven have a "not happy-out-of-
> the-box
> experience", which includes scattered docs - I always have to give
> them
> multiple URLs for info and/or they keep Googling for answers.
>
> If you plan to integrate Maven site and the wiki so well like the
> examples
> you provided, then the user sees them as one source.  Very nice.

Just a note on this aspect too.  I have a confluence client library
which could be used in a plugin that automatically exports some or
all of the confluence content for inclusion in other works --
releases, etc.  Might be some other fun things you with the ability
to easily read/write data from confluence.

Some javadoc here: http://swizzle.codehaus.org/swizzle-confluence/

-David

Re: confluence (was: We're near the release of 1.0 final)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 30/03/2007, at 11:19 AM, Jeff Jensen wrote:

> So what are the plans for what each would contain - Maven site and
> wiki?
> Would Maven site contain only the generated tool docs (e.g. reports
> like
> Javadoc, PMD) and would the wiki contain only hand-written user docs?

I'd see the current site staying as it is (although we could work on
better provision of the tools stuff again).

We would have cookbook subsections of the site which would be the
MAVENUSER and similar spaces drawn in under the user guides section.

The MAVEN space would be arranged and brought under the developer
documentation section and used for design proposals.

> What I can't understand by just looking at those examples is how
> was all
> that content created?  Did a "mvn site" run gen some and the hand
> created
> wiki pages link to it?

It's all created in confluence, and using the autoexport plugin it
regularly spits out static html. They use a template to produce the
look and feel. If you hit the edit links you can see the original
confluence system.

> No argument - those are nice sites.  Just not understanding yet the
> Maven
> plans for wiki/site usage.  My fear, obviously, is continued
> "separate"
> works, as some people I helped with Maven have a "not happy-out-of-
> the-box
> experience", which includes scattered docs - I always have to give
> them
> multiple URLs for info and/or they keep Googling for answers.
>
> If you plan to integrate Maven site and the wiki so well like the
> examples
> you provided, then the user sees them as one source.  Very nice.

That's the theory :) Thanks for the feedback!

- Brett

RE: confluence (was: We're near the release of 1.0 final)

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
FYI, this is a better example of a sub-site:

     http://geronimo.apache.org/xbean

This is from the XB space which we export into this directory under
our TLD.  We used to do this before we had used the GMOxSITE space
for the site content, though now we use both.  Soon we will be
stitching together a few spaces so that *most* content we have stored
in cwiki will be exported to a location under http://
geronimo.apache.org.

--jason

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 29/03/2007, at 7:47 AM, John Casey wrote:

> I can't say that I care much one way or another, when it comes to
> moving all
> doco from the codehaus wiki to cwiki or leaving it as-is...provided
> the
> conversion is 100% successful, and cwiki is stable. The stability
> point is a
> concern for me, since I've seen some pretty ugly messes with ASF
> infra in
> the past.

I asked David Blevins and from a technical perspective he recommends
using cwiki. He has found it to be sufficiently stable and the
volunteers responsive.

> Of bigger concern to me is the fact that the MAVEN space is such a
> mess...

When we get to that point, I'd be happy to organise and document a
structure for it. It's not actually as messy as it looks.

> One thing that is interesting is that wiki content wouldn't be
> affected by
> confluence outages, since it's exported to the static pages...and
> I'm not
> sure it's a great idea to have something like setup that between
> ASF and
> codehaus...it's only adding moving parts that can fail.

Agreed.

> Is there a reason I should get fired up about either outcome?

Because you're fired up about documentation? :)

I think everyone agreed the cookbook idea was a good one before, I
think this is a concrete step towards making it happen.

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
I can't say that I care much one way or another, when it comes to moving all
doco from the codehaus wiki to cwiki or leaving it as-is...provided the
conversion is 100% successful, and cwiki is stable. The stability point is a
concern for me, since I've seen some pretty ugly messes with ASF infra in
the past.

Of bigger concern to me is the fact that the MAVEN space is such a mess...

One thing that is interesting is that wiki content wouldn't be affected by
confluence outages, since it's exported to the static pages...and I'm not
sure it's a great idea to have something like setup that between ASF and
codehaus...it's only adding moving parts that can fail.

Is there a reason I should get fired up about either outcome?

-john

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 31/03/2007, at 2:21 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

>> We're better off on cwiki than where we are now. We have no admin
>> privileges (I'm currently locked out of editing the CONTINUUM space)
>
> Did you ask? I asked Ben for JIRA privs and that took 5 minutes.

Of course. It's now filed here: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/
HAUS-1488

>> , and the setup is not conducive to deploying into the Apache
>> site. cwiki is already running the stuff we need. People I trust
>> recommend it.
>>

> The stuff is a plugin which can be installed in any Confluence
> instance. So that's not an onerous task.
>
>> We've wanted to do this for months, and this is an avenue that
>> actually makes it easier for us - I continue to suggest we take it.
>>

> I'm simply not in favour of moving anything away from Contegix.
> Taking the output from the export plugin and scp'ing it to people
> is not hard either.

Sure, it's not hard, but it's still less work to use cwiki. And
frankly, there's a difference between having admin access and admin
responsibility - the committers on this project are already
overcommitted without having to take on the project's infrastructure
responsibilities as well.

But, since there isn't consensus enough to move forward with even
trying it on that single SCM page, I'll revisit it later after you've
had a chance to try and set it up yourself.

- Brett

Re: confluence

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
There are some issues with autoexport, you guys might want to take a
peek at the HokeyPokey's exportspace command:

     http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/hokeypokey/trunk/

Its still a work in progress, but it basically exports a space via
xmlrpc and applies a velocity template and then does some massaging
of urls.  Currently the massaging is hardcoded... the rules need to
be externalized.  And the multi-space exporter needs to be hooked up
too.

But, the idea is to have a regular cron job execute the exporter
using templates and resources that are checked into svn, which makes
it easier to manage and allows for better oversight of template changes.

And by using this method pages with dynamic tags (like include or
jiraissues, etc) will also get refreshed.

Anyways... its a work in progress, but worth a look if you are just
getting started.

--jason

Re: confluence

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: confluence

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
While you make plenty of valid points about Contegix, it's completely
unrelated to what I'm arguing for. If you are successful in bringing

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.