Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sachin Sawant <sa...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/03 06:27:31 UTC

Disable Multiple Checkout for Binary Files or files with Specific Extensions

Hi All,

Is their any way we can disable multiple checkout in Subversion for
Binary files or files with specific extensions. I actually like the
idea of setting up "svn-needs-lock" properties on all those binary
files but it seems OS X native applications ignores the read-only
filesystem bit.

Thanks,

-Sachulinux

Re: Disable Multiple Checkout for Binary Files or files with Specific Extensions

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.
On 3 Aug 2007, at 08:51, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:

> On Friday 03 August 2007 08:27, Sachin Sawant wrote:
>> Is their any way we can disable multiple checkout in Subversion for
>> Binary files or files with specific extensions.
>
> No, you can check out a working copy and then make a copy of it
> locally,
> ending up with two valid working copies.
>
>> I actually like the idea of setting up "svn-needs-lock" properties on
>> all those binary files but it seems OS X native applications ignores
>> the read-only filesystem bit.
>
> I'd say that only broken applications ignore that bit. To be
> precise, you
> can't "ignore" it, you have to actively override it, so one more
> point to
> that application being broken. File a bug report.

Just to clarify, you mean with the application vendor, *not* the
Subversion developers :-)

I couldn't believe it when I first read the parent e-mail so I did
some tests and, in at least some cases, it's sadly true.

XCode and TextEdit will both let you write to a read only file that
you own but give you a warning first

Vi will let you write a read only file that you own if you use the w!
command.

Omniplan silently writes the file and leaves the write bit set, a
major bug IMO.  I think I'll check the behaviour on the latest
version and if it is the same, file a bug.

Omniplan is also an example of an application that uses bundles i.e.
a directory containing one or more files that the Finder treats as a
single file.  Changing the write bit of the bundle directory doesn't
change the write bits of the files inside unless you do it using the
Finder (the chmod(2) system certainly does not check if a directory
is a bundle directory).

I suspect it is the bundle issue that the OP is trying to get
around.  I think the only way around it is to manually apply the
svn:needs-lock property to the bundle directory and all sub
components, or would be if subversion would let you lock a
directory.  Hmm, I wonder why the developers left directory locking
out...

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@comdasys.com>.
On Friday 03 August 2007 12:14, Sachin Sawant wrote:
> What I mean by disable multiple checkout is that if someone checkout files
> from repository no one else should able to checkout those files from
> Repository
> until that same user commit those files back to repository.

What a strange idea... it won't work, though: you would require the user to
modify ALL files so that someone else can check them out ?

You've asked about a solution you came up for a problem we don't know yet. So
let's tackle it from the other end: What is the problem you'd like to solve ?

Bye,
	Marc

--
Marc Haisenko
Comdasys AG

Rüdesheimer Straße 7
D-80686 München
Tel:   +49 (0)89 - 548 433 321
e-mail: haisenko@comdasys.com
http://www.comdasys.com

Re: Disable Multiple Checkout for Binary Files or files with Specific Extensions

Posted by schoenfeld / in-medias-res <sc...@in-medias-res.com>.
Rainer Sokoll wrote
> This does not prevent the user from checking out.
> (The OP's idea sounds a little bit strange to me, though)

Well, i thought "checkout" would be a mistake in the mail.
;)

Patrick

Re: Disable Multiple Checkout for Binary Files or files with Specific Extensions

Posted by Rainer Sokoll <R....@intershop.de>.
On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 12:20:35PM +0200, schoenfeld / in-medias-res wrote:
> Sachin Sawant schrieb:
> > What I mean by disable multiple checkout is that if someone checkout
> > files from repository no one else should able to checkout those files
> > from Repository
> > until that same user commit those files back to repository.
>
> svn help lock

This does not prevent the user from checking out.
(The OP's idea sounds a little bit strange to me, though)

Rainer

Re: Disable Multiple Checkout for Binary Files or files with Specific Extensions

Posted by schoenfeld / in-medias-res <sc...@in-medias-res.com>.
Sachin Sawant schrieb:
> What I mean by disable multiple checkout is that if someone checkout
> files from repository no one else should able to checkout those files
> from Repository
> until that same user commit those files back to repository.

svn help lock

Best Regards

Patrick

Re: Disable Multiple Checkout for Binary Files or files with Specific Extensions

Posted by Sachin Sawant <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.