Posted to dev@iota.apache.org by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/19 07:23:15 UTC

0.1 Release Readiness

Hi,

Please merge in the IOTA-38 pull request, which addresses all license
issues reported by rat.

From what I see, these fixes plus Barbara's build instructions takes us
2/3rds from the first release. Once the jar files are changed to source
with build, we should be ready to start the steps needed for the first iota
release!

Gunnar

Re: 0.1 Release Readiness

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I assume since Litbit has an agreement with Apache and that individual committers have ICLAs in place they could contribute these performers to help others see how to write more complex performers. Let me know if my understanding is correct.

Sounds good to me.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: 0.1 Release Readiness

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Let be very clear on this: Apache cares about the project understanding and following its processes. Apache doesn’t care if you have the best product since the lunar module. So, let’s get the release out.

+1 to that!

> Why are they developed outside the project instead of inside the project where committers and contributors can review and discuss ongoing work?

This has been brought up several times before and until it changes the project is going to find it hard to build a community around it code base. Please bring all development to the Apache git repo. It’s expected on an active project to see frequent small commits not a large commit every month or two. If something isn’t release ready make a branch and work on it in that.

Thanks,
Justin

RE: 0.1 Release Readiness

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tony and all.

There are two orthogonal issues here:

1.       Getting a release out.

2.       Adding new function to the source tree.

Getting a Release Out

At this point in the project's life, there's no need to add new function.
What's important is to get through the release process with all its checks
and bounds. The first step to merge in IOTA-38 since it adds missing license
headers.

The second step is either to remove the included jar files or to add the
source for them with corresponding build steps.

That's all that's needed before a first release can be attempted as far as I
am concerned - the project builds and the test run.

Then, it's a matter of a COMMITTER going through the steps for creating a
release, which are outlined on the wiki. I expect this process to take a few
weeks and to encounter a number of gotchas. The gotchas and other things are
the reasons why the focus is on release vs. function at this point - you
need to get through the release process and you need to get going with
making new releases every few months. NOTE: I expect that changes will be
needed to the documented release steps; part of learning.

Let be very clear on this: Apache cares about the project understanding and
following its processes. Apache doesn't care if you have the best product
since the lunar module. So, let's get the release out.

Adding New Function to the Source Tree

Typically, large code drops our frowned upon in the community. Why are they
developed outside the project instead of inside the project where committers
and contributors can review and discuss ongoing work? Don't think: we're
adding another level when it's ready but rather build the layer IN the
project. If you don't, how can people like myself that want to contribute
ever learn? We need to be IN the discussions for the different Jiras so that
we understand how to think about the different pieces of the project and can
identify white space or bug we can work on.

As for the current pieces, just create a Jira for each function and add it
in. (Which is what should have been done in the first place. :) ) Then, go
through the normal process used for a Jira: review it and, when ready,
commit it. And, if so inclined, please add a page to the wiki on how to
write a performer. It might be as simple as linking to a readme file for a
good sample performer in the source tree - just make it easy to find rather
than force new people to dig through the source to find the instructions.

I hope this helps,

Gunnar

Posted by Omkar Prabhu <om...@litbit.com>.
Sounds good. Thanks Gunnar

RE: 0.1 Release Readiness

I am a committer for Apache IOTA. I have the following performers that i would like to contribute:

1. Kafka 0.8 and Kafka 0.10 Subscribers

2. MQTT Publisher, Subscriber

Let me know how to proceed.

Thanks,

Omkar

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Tony Faustini <tony@litbit.com <ma...@litbit.com> > wrote:

Hi Gunnar, thanks for helping on this. I wanted to encourage everyone to re-engage so we can get the release back on track. I know that some of the committers have developed performers as part of their work at Litbit. They have permission from Litbit to contribute these performers which are both useful and exemplary examples of how to write more complex performers. If you are a committer that can make such a contribution can you let the dev list know what those performers are? I assume since Litbit has an agreement with Apache and that individual committers have ICLAs in place they could contribute these performers to help others see how to write more complex performers. Let me know if my understanding is correct.

Thoughts?

-Tony

On Feb 18, 2017, at 11:23 PM, Gunnar Tapper <tapper.gunnar@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com> > wrote:

Hi,

Please merge in the IOTA-38 pull request, which addresses all license issues reported by rat.

From what I see, these fixes plus Barbara's build instructions takes us 2/3rds from the first release. Once the jar files are changed to source with build, we should be ready to start the steps needed for the first iota release!

Re: 0.1 Release Readiness

Posted by Omkar Prabhu <om...@litbit.com>.
Hi all,