Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Rob Tanner <rt...@onlinemac.com> on 2000/06/10 00:40:45 UTC

Re: [DESPERATE] Problems with apache-php3perl SRPM

I know this is really basic, but you did check to be sure that the
loadmodule/addmodule directives for modperl come before the problem
PerlHandler directive?  Otherwise it won't recognize the PerlHandler
directive because modperl will not have been loaded at that time.

I've also had problem, not with the PerlHandler directive, but with my own
custom directives.  I finally downgraded my Apache to 1.3.6 and my problems
went away (in other words, the problem is either Apache or modperl or
possibly in the interface between them).  If your running a more recent
version, try downgrading and see what that does.  If nothing else, that
will better help folks to figure out where the problem is not.

-- Rob

--On 06/10/00 11:54:09 +0800 "Ian C.Sison" <ia...@qsr.com.ph> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, you wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 01:04:49AM +0800, Ian C.Sison wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I've tried working with the apache-php3perl SRPM which was posted on
>> > the
>>
>> snip
>>
>> > Starting httpd: Syntax error on line 862 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
>> > Invalid command 'PerlHandler', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a
>> > module not included in the server configuration
>> >
>> > Now i know the FAQ entries on this error code, but i know perl is
>> > included and linked statically, so the keyword  PerlHandler should
>> > work.  Looking at httpd -l I get:
>> >
>> > Compiled-in modules:
>> >   http_core.c
>> >   mod_so.c
>> >   mod_perl.c
>> >   mod_php3.c
>> > suexec: enabled; valid wrapper /usr/sbin/suexec
>> >

>> snip
>>

>> IIRC from the mod_perl docs, mod_action.c is the only one that HAS to be
>> in there for mod_perl... add that and see.
>
> LoadModule action_module      modules/mod_actions.so
> AddModule mod_actions.c
>
> I've checked and they are both in my httpd.conf.
> Still no resultion to this.
>
> I tend to believe that this is not a problem due to the fact that i built
> this from an SRPM.  I think it's a bug in apache or mod_perl that
> probably hasn't been discovered yet.  It's clear from httpd -l that
> mod_perl.c is included, so why does not it recognize the Perl
> configuration phrases/words?
>
> Anyone else with some ideas?

       _ _ _ _           _    _ _ _ _ _
      /\_\_\_\_\        /\_\ /\_\_\_\_\_\
     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
   /\/_/_/_/_/ /\_\  /\/_/    /\/_/
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  McMinnville, Oregon
  rtanner@onlinemac.com

Re: [DESPERATE] Problems with apache-php3perl SRPM

Posted by "Ian C.Sison" <ia...@qsr.com.ph>.
On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> I know this is really basic, but you did check to be sure that the
> loadmodule/addmodule directives for modperl come before the problem
> PerlHandler directive?  Otherwise it won't recognize the PerlHandler
> directive because modperl will not have been loaded at that time.

The addmodule/loadmodule is not needed since i compiled mod_perl.c statically
into apache.  Note the binary is 2MB++ !

And the loading of  mod_actions is _before_ the Perl statements.

> I've also had problem, not with the PerlHandler directive, but with my own
> custom directives.  I finally downgraded my Apache to 1.3.6 and my problems
> went away (in other words, the problem is either Apache or modperl or
> possibly in the interface between them).  If your running a more recent
> version, try downgrading and see what that does.  If nothing else, that
> will better help folks to figure out where the problem is not.

Actually my previous version of apache+mod_perl static _was_ 1.3.6, and that
worked even with EmbPerl.  Now i want to "up" the versions of all three if i
could, and i came across this SRPM.  However, it doesn't seem to work.

\8(