Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2012/05/03 14:26:34 UTC

[log4j 2] build

On May 3, 2012, at 4:51 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

>> - For 2.0 we should have one build, Maven, and dump the Ant build file.
>
> Not sure what 2.0 currently supports, but i think it is only maven.
> For 1.0 I would LOVE if you could help me with cleaning the build. We
> need to maintain it for a while...
> we can vote on dropping ant support for 1.x whih should make things easier.

2.0 uses Maven. I use Maven 3 and am not sure if Maven 2 will work. I modeled it after the build for Commons VFS.  That doesn't mean it won't have its own issues. Doing a release at the ASF is complicated.

The site generates several reports that can be seen at http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/

For example, http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/project-reports.html and http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/log4j2-core/project-reports.html

>> - For 2.0 I hope we adopt the standard Maven directory layout.
>
> me to. for 1.x we can try to fix that stuff a little bit. I analysed
> it already, thread is somewher ein the archives.

Yes, it uses the standard layout.

You are both free to checkout the source and run the build. If you want to add more reports feel free to do so.I will note that on Windows the unit tests have to be run with -server set. I plan on adding a profile that does that automatically.

Ralph

Re: [log4j 2] build

Posted by Gary Gregory <gg...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>wrote:

> On May 3, 2012, at 4:51 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>

> - For 2.0 we should have one build, Maven, and dump the Ant build file.
>

> Not sure what 2.0 currently supports, but i think it is only maven.
> For 1.0 I would LOVE if you could help me with cleaning the build. We
> need to maintain it for a while...
> we can vote on dropping ant support for 1.x whih should make things easier.
>

> 2.0 uses Maven. I use Maven 3 and am not sure if Maven 2 will work. I
> modeled it after the build for Commons VFS.  That doesn't mean it won't
> have its own issues. Doing a release at the ASF is complicated.

Good news WRT Maven vs. Ant. Did you dump Ant? Indeed WRT complicated
releases...

> - For 2.0 I hope we can generate the same kind of reports we do for Commons
>
> like FindBugs, Clirr, PMD, Changes, and so on.
>

> Yes, lets discuss this on another thread. SO far l4j2 and l4j1 are
> totally separated. 2 is a full rewrite.
>

> The site generates several reports that can be seen at
> http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/
>
> For example, http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/project-reports.html
>  and
> http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/log4j2-core/project-reports.html

Minor: the style for tables to sub-par:
http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/surefire-report.html is hard to
read.

> - For 2.0 I hope we adopt the standard Maven directory layout.
>

> me to. for 1.x we can try to fix that stuff a little bit. I analysed
> it already, thread is somewher ein the archives.
>

> Yes, it uses the standard layout.

Great!

> You are both free to checkout the source and run the build. If you want to
> add more reports feel free to do so.

Already checked out :) I plan on helping after 1.2.17.

Gary

JUnit in Action, 2nd Ed: http://bit.ly/ECvg0
Spring Batch in Action: http://bit.ly/bqpbCK
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com