Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by webdev1977 <we...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/14 21:42:05 UTC

Nutch 1.3 + Cygwin + paths

I am having a hard time getting nutch 1.3 to run in a pseudo distributed mode
on Windows Server 2008 sp2.

I spent a week messing with hadoop version 0.20.203.0 and I have come to the
conclusion that it is not possible to start the task tracker due to an issue
in RawLocalFileSystem.java(515).  It is trying to do a setuid by setting the
permissions to 0700.  It is not possible to do this in this version of
Windows.  I think it has to do something with the least privileged user
model for permissions.

To bypass this I went back to version 0.20.2 and I was at least able to
start all the components and run the examples hadoop jar and get it to
finish.

Fast foward to running nutch.  I am able to get it to start an inject, but
it fails with some long garbage looking  path while trying to write to log
files.

What should the paths for the directories in the hadoop conf files be?

/cygdrive/r/hadoop   or
r:/cygdrive/r/hadoop or
file:///r:/cygdrive/r/hadoop

The only thing on the lists I could find talking about this were from this
message thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/nutch-user@lucene.apache.org/msg14205.html

Re: Nutch 1.3 + Cygwin + hadoop + paths

Posted by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

As you probably know, there are not very many active windows + Nutch users
on this list. This leaves you in a bit of a catch 22. When I first started
using Nutch it was on a windows desktop and I found it pretty painful at
times. Most of the relevant documentation available caters for *nix like
environments as well.

I'm sorry for such a glass half empty answer but it is the truth. I'm afraid
you're kinda on your own until someone with the experience of using your set
up emerges.

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 11:08 AM, webdev1977 <we...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was afraid of this :-( I can't believe that no one has tried this
> configuration yet?

*Lewis*

Re: Nutch 1.3 + Cygwin + hadoop + paths

Posted by webdev1977 <we...@gmail.com>.