Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ricardo Portilho Proni <ri...@uol.com.br> on 2004/08/14 03:18:08 UTC

[users@httpd] Activate REMOTE_USER Enviroment Variable

	How can I activate the enviroment variable REMOTE_USER in Apache 2.0.46
(Red HAT AS 3)?

	Thanks in advance.

Re: [users@httpd] Activate REMOTE_USER Enviroment Variable

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:31:57 -0300, Ricardo Portilho Proni
<ri...@uol.com.br> wrote:

>         Thanks for the tip about the error-log... Diggning into docs and errors
> really work. ;-)
>
>         Actually, I realized that the IE already send a username/password to
> the server with the Require directive on.
>         But, what I need now, is that everyone gets in, without needing to
> registrate before with the htpasswd (I just need to use the REMOTE_USER
> in the CGI...). Is that possible?

You can look at mod_auth_anon, but I don't think you'll like the way
it works.  Other than that, I don't know of any solution.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Activate REMOTE_USER Enviroment Variable

Posted by Ricardo Portilho Proni <ri...@uol.com.br>.

	Thanks for the tip about the error-log... Diggning into docs and errors
really work. ;-)

	Actually, I realized that the IE already send a username/password to
the server with the Require directive on.
	But, what I need now, is that everyone gets in, without needing to
registrate before with the htpasswd (I just need to use the REMOTE_USER
in the CGI...). Is that possible?

	Thanks !

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ricardo Portilho Proni <ri...@uol.com.br>.

	Users will access the files in a intranet enviroment, and they are
already registered in a NT Domain.
	I just need to keep in a mysql db who where the users who accessed the
files (as the user informed by the IE in the clients).

	Thanks.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ricardo Portilho Proni <ri...@uol.com.br>.

	May I put the directives on the "/" or "cgi-bin" Directory? I ask that
because I will only need the username with running CGIs.
	I put the following lines in cgi-bin, and got the 500 error.

	<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
        Options ExecCGI
        AllowOverride None
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Help"
        Require valid-user
        AuthAuthoritative On
	</Directory>

	One more think, I don't want to require username and password from the
users, I just want to know who they are. So, what can I do, for
permmiting their access? I must include every new user with htpasswd?

	Sorry, I am beginning now to dig a little more in apache and the docs,
learning a few more than the "Hey, it worked !".
	Thanks in advance.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.