Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Maxfield, Rebecca A" <rm...@providence.edu> on 2020/03/17 20:18:15 UTC

Re: [External] Re: Starting up Tomcat 8

Both are Linux. The new is Debian, the old ??

On 3/17/20, 4:03 PM, "André Warnier (tomcat/perl)" <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

    On 17.03.2020 19:52, Maxfield, Rebecca A wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I manage a project that currently runs on Tomcat 7 but is migrating to a new server where Tomcat 8 was installed by the server admin. When I navigate to the /var/lib/tomcat8 folder, I don’t see a ./bin folder or any startup.sh or similar. Is this something that has changed from Tomcat 7 to Tomcat 8, or does this imply that it was not installed completely/correctly?

    What is the platform (OS) of the new server ? (and the old one)
    Maybe it was installed using a package provided by the platform, in (eminently variable)
    other directories.

    › This email was sent from outside of Providence College
    › Do not click any suspicious links or open any attachments that you are not expecting
    › Never send any sensitive or financial information (Including passwords, social security numbers, credit card numbers, and gift cards) via email

Re: [External] Re: Starting up Tomcat 8

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat/perl)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
On 17.03.2020 21:43, Maxfield, Rebecca A wrote:
> Ah, some problems are arising because, I suppose, the startup process wants to create or touch something in ../logs and that's now all the way over in /var/lib/tomcat8. How do I move on from here?

Try (as root) : service tomcat8 start  (or restart or stop ..)

As mentioned before, the Debian package is assembled in such a way that it will function
in the same way as other "services" in the Debian environment, log in the same general
place etc..
The above command in fact runs the shell script at /etc/init.d/tomcat8.
This script sets a number of variables before calling tomcat's startup.sh, changes to the
approriate directory etc..

If you want a tomcat8 which is installed in a single directory, and which reacts in the
"canonical" way as explained on the tomcat website, then you would have to de-install the
Debian tomcat8 package, and install tomcat8 as per the tomcat website.
But that's probably, in your case, more work than necessary.
You just want to run some tomcat applications (webapps), right ?

Posted by "Maxfield, Rebecca A" <rm...@providence.edu>.

Posted by "Maxfield, Rebecca A" <rm...@providence.edu>.

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat/perl)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.