Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Gennady Shumakher <gs...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/12 11:53:54 UTC

Migration to axis2 - dom parsing

Hi,
I am evaluating the migration from axis1 to axis2 framework.

Specifically we use dynamic web service invocation with DOM based parsing of
the results. In axis1 it looked as a natural approach since
org.apache.axis.message.SOAPEnvelope returned by
org.apache.axis.client.Callimplemented
org.w3c.dom.Node interface. In axis2 the dynamic invocation with
org.apache.axis2.client.OperationClient eventually returns
org.apache.axiom.soap.SOAPEnvelope which is Axiom based. I notice that it is
possible to convert Axiom based SOAPEnvelop to DOM based document with
SAAJUtil.getDocumentFromSOAPEnvelope.

So I wonder if we stay with existing dom parsing is there any the
performance issues in doing such conversion on every service call. Or we
should seriously consider using axiom based parsing instead.

Thanks in advance,
Gennady

Re: Migration to axis2 - dom parsing

Posted by Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com>.
AXIOM -> DOM conversion is clearly more expensive than directly using
AXIOM, or a data binding framework like XML beans. However it's effect
depend on how much load your app gets ect ..

Another possibility to use is XML beans and use getDOMNode(). However
it can be slower than AXIOM-DOM.  May be you should do a small
perofmance test by each method. (Build a envelope by each method few
thousand times and campare time taken.)

However if you use AXOM or data binding like XmlBeans/ADB directly,
that would be fastest implementation.

Thank
Srinath