Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net> on 2002/03/20 18:50:56 UTC

this a.m. how do we get a cleared scoreboard after apachectl restart?

If there is no such logic right now:

Is the WinNT MPM gonna puke if ap_create_scoreboard() clears it (but
preserving running_generation) in the already-have-a-scoreboard path?

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: this a.m. how do we get a cleared scoreboard after apachectl restart?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
Greg Ames <gr...@remulak.net> writes:

> > If there is no such logic right now:
>
> well, there is ap_cleanup_scoreboard.  But it seems to have two problems w.r.t.
> non-graceful restart:
>
> * it won't run on a restart with the pool change.  But code in the MPMs kills
> the cleanup on non-graceful.  Will that make things break at shutdown time?

Killing the cleanup is currently a no-op since it is searching the
wrong pool...

If the scoreboard is going to be associated with the process pool then
we shouldn't be killing the cleanup anyway, right?

> * for some period of time before the pool change, it wasn't always effective in
> preventing the new generation from seeing old generation data, as you reported.
>
> > Is the WinNT MPM gonna puke if ap_create_scoreboard() clears it (but
> > preserving running_generation) in the already-have-a-scoreboard path?
>
> dunno.  Aren't you concerned about the Unix MPMs?  What would prevent
> about-to-die old generation processes from writing into the scoreboard after it
> is cleared?

Since I don't see any answers on WinNT MPM I'm going to forget about
it and assume that clearing the scoreboard in ap_create_scoreboard()
is good for everybody.

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@remulak.net>.
Jeff Trawick wrote:

> If there is no such logic right now:

well, there is ap_cleanup_scoreboard.  But it seems to have two problems w.r.t.
non-graceful restart:

* it won't run on a restart with the pool change.  But code in the MPMs kills
the cleanup on non-graceful.  Will that make things break at shutdown time?
* for some period of time before the pool change, it wasn't always effective in
preventing the new generation from seeing old generation data, as you reported.

> Is the WinNT MPM gonna puke if ap_create_scoreboard() clears it (but
> preserving running_generation) in the already-have-a-scoreboard path?

dunno.  Aren't you concerned about the Unix MPMs?  What would prevent
about-to-die old generation processes from writing into the scoreboard after it
is cleared?

Greg