Posted to users@flex.apache.org by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net> on 2017/07/06 16:43:19 UTC

Visibility Issue with PopUp Component

I have a PopUp that occupies about a third of the screen with several
components in it like a dropdownlist, a textInput, and sliders where a user
can set values that are needed by the program(i haven't included them all in
the example).  Each time the PopUp is loaded, it obtains values from the
last time the PopUp was loaded to populate the components with the previous
values for the user.  The problem that I am having is with the textInput.
The first time that they PopUp is displayed, everything displays perfectly.
I enter a city name like "Indianapolis" into the textInput, and then close
the PopUp.  The next time the PopUp is opened, it should load all the
positions and sizes of the components, then load the values to populate the
components.  But the textInput loads and displays "Indianapolis" to the left
of boundaries of the PopUp momentarily, and then it snaps into its proper
place inside the PopUp borders.  I have tried every workaround that I can
think of which includes setting the initial visibility property of the PopUp
AND the textInput to false, then setting all of the position paramaters,
then loading the component values, and finally turning the visibility of the
PopUp and the textInput back to true.  But for some reason, the textInput
still displays outside of the bounds of the PopUp for just a few frames and
then snaps into place.  None of the other components, sliders or
dropdownlist do this???  Any thoughts???

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<s:BorderContainer xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
		 xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx" creationComplete="init(event)"
visible="false">
	<fx:Script>

	</fx:Script>

	<s:Group id="topGroup">

			<s:TextInput id="cityInput" color="#4F4F4F" visible="false"/>
			<s:HSlider id="minPriceSlider" minimum="0" maximum="100"
showDataTip="false" snapInterval="1"
change="minPriceSliderChangeHandler(event)"/>
			<s:CheckBox id="allCB" label="All" change="allCBChangeHandler(event)"/>
			<s:CheckBox id="mfCB" label="Multi Family"
change="CBChangeHandler(event)"/>
			<s:CheckBox id="sfCB" label="Single Family"
change="CBChangeHandler(event)"/>
			<s:CheckBox id="coCB" label="Commercial"
change="CBChangeHandler(event)"/>
			<s:CheckBox id="cndCB" label="Condo/Townhouse"
change="CBChangeHandler(event)"/>
			<s:CheckBox id="lotCB" label="Lot/Land" change="CBChangeHandler(event)"/>
			<s:Label id="mySpacer" text=""/>
		</s:Group>

</s:BorderContainer>

Re: Visibility Issue with PopUp Component

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
I recently noticed that StageText appeared slightly to the right of where
it should in AIR 26. If I remember correctly, it was working better in AIR
25.

- Josh

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hey Mike,

Visit the page about the Apache Flex mailing lists to find the email
address you can contact to automatically unsubscribe you from future
messages.

- Josh

Posted by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net>.
Michael, I wish I could help you out, but I don't know how.  I only post to
the mailing list, I have no control over who subscribes to the list, so I
don't believe that I personally can remove anyone from it.  You need to
remove yourself from the list, or contact the administrators and have them
remove you.

Somebody please let me know if I am wrong about this.  Sorry for any
inconvenience.

Re: Visibility Issue with PopUp Component

Posted by "Erik J. Thomas" <er...@linqto.com>.
The skin that shows text to the right of where it should in the input field is using the non-mobile "spark" theme. If you want TLF (spark skin if you are running in the mobile theme) you need to set the skinClass to:

spark.skins.mobile.TextInputSkin

This is the one that displays the text further to the right until you open the softkeyboard again like you saw. I suggest not using this one for mobile development. Reading the overview docs here will make all this clearer:

https://flex.apache.org/asdoc/spark/components/TextInput.html <https://flex.apache.org/asdoc/spark/components/TextInput.html>

The native TextInput control is used by default in mobile theme:

spark.skins.mobile.StageTextInputSkin

And it's the better one to use, overall, but you have to deal with the z-order issues and the fact you can't hide the contents of the control. There are significant limitations to using the StageText version:

Limitation of StageText-based controls:
Native text input fields cannot be clipped by other Flex content and are rendered in a layer above the Stage. Because of this limitation, components that use StageText-based skin classes will always appear to be on top of other Flex components. Flex popups and drop-downs will also be obscured by any visible native text fields. Finally, native text fields' relative z-order cannot be controlled by the application.
The native controls do not support embedded fonts.
Links and html markup are not supported.
text is always selectable.
Fractional alpha values are not supported.
Keyboard events are not dispatched for most keys. This means that the tab key will not dispatch keyDown or keyUp events so focus cannot be removed from a StageText-based control with the tab key.
StageText is currently not capable of measuring text.
At this time StageText does not support programmatic control of scroll position.
At this time StageText does not support an event model necessary to allow for touch-based scrolling of forms containing native text fields.
For more on StageText, go here: https://flex.apache.org/asdoc/spark/components/supportClasses/StyleableStageText.html <https://flex.apache.org/asdoc/spark/components/supportClasses/StyleableStageText.html>

I don't have a solid solution for you on the phantom text appearing. However, if the text is the text that you are deleting, I'd try these ideas:

Delete the text, and don't close the dialog until next frame (delete text, then do callLater(closeMe). That should ensure the native control no longer contains the text. I hate using callLater but in Flex development it's inevitable that you will find it's a valuable workaround.
Always create a new instance of the dialog by doing a new Dialog() assignment instead of caching it and hiding/showing using popup manager.
Ensure the content of the text property of your input field is empty in the Dialog() instance before you show it with popup manager.

The key is to ensure there is no text in the field before you show the dialog. Again, this problem is a pain, but working around this and using the native StageText control is better than the spark version. And there is a bug in the TextInputSkin that is causing the content part to show up to the right of where you want it. I tried extending that skin and replacing it to fix the issue and everytime I ran my app, it would throw Errors that didn't make sense. There is something strange about trying to us TextInputSkin (non-native) in a mobile app. I recommend not trying that.

Hope this helps.

Erik

Posted by "Erik J. Thomas" <er...@linqto.com>.
Hey bilbosax:

If you are talking about a Flex Mobile app, just try deleting the contents of the TextInput when hiding the PopUp:

private function onCloseMe():void {
    input.text = null;
}

When subsequently showing the popup, there will be no text to render and you won't see it.

In mobile apps, using mobile theme, this is well known issue because TextInput is using StyledStageText component which is essentially the native TextInput component for the platform, which makes interaction with input devices act and feel native, like soft keyboard, voice dictation, auto correct and auto suggest, etc. The non mobile theme version still does some of this stuff, but not natively so there are some issues.

Anyway if using mobile theme and TextInput you need to pay attention to the fact that the native component is being displayed above all of your application. It's Z order is higher (above) everything and it will show the text over things and when Popup shows visible before centering you'll see this sort of behavior.

In the end, TextInput on mobile is really a good thing, but it's a little quirky and you need to work around a couple issues like this.

However, if you plan to have input fields below the top half of a view where the TextInput field receives input focus and scrolls into view above the soft keyboard, be aware that there is a known problem with the caret showing up in some cases. Best to keep you input fields in the top 50% of the mobile screen so it doesn't have to scroll.

Cheers,

Erik

Posted by Olaf Krueger <po...@olafkrueger.net>.
It might be helpful to provide a simple test case including your PopUp
implementation.

Olaf