Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com> on 2004/08/25 02:23:03 UTC

daily updates: first steps

1. add https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/updates

   updates are not on same release cycle as trunk, no branching will
   be done, etc.

2. under "updates", mkdir 3.0.0/rules/

3. initial filename creation/convention:

   70_testing.cf - test rules, gets tested nightly
   80_updates.cf - test rules passing QA, not created until QA is specified
   85_scores.cf  - score updates passing QA, not created until QA is specified

   we can split up 80_updates.cf later as necessary, rename stuff, etc.

4. nightly tests:

   goal is a 100% automated script to be run nightly from a cron job in
   a "corpus account", more later...

Daniel

Re: daily updates: first steps

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Daniel,

Tuesday, August 24, 2004, 5:23:03 PM, you wrote:

DQ> 1. add https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/updates
DQ>    updates are not on same release cycle as trunk, no branching will
DQ>    be done, etc.

DQ> 2. under "updates", mkdir 3.0.0/rules/ ...
Among the good ideas from your first posting in this thread was
>   - updates are published for each individual release: 3.0.0, 3.0.1, etc.
>   - it is expected that most updates will be equivalent across a
>     particular set of releases using the same rule base (3.0.x will all
>     be linked, etc.)

Do you mean, then, to link a future 3.0.1 directory to the 3.0.0
directory?

I'm wondering whether it might be better to have a generic 3.0/rules/
directory, with files that apply to all 3.0.x versions there, and link
those files into the 3.0.x directories. The goal is to have one place to
deposit rules depending upon where they apply.

And when someone develops a rule that fits 3.0.2 through 3.0.4 only, then
it can be put into a 3.0.2-4/rules/ directory, and linked to the three
version-specific directories.  Would this be along the lines you were
thinking of?

A complication: Once there is a 3.0.0, 3.0.1, and 3.0.2, are we going to
want to do three nightly runs? How do we automate a multitude of testing
versions?

Bob Menschel

Re: daily updates: first steps

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Tuesday, August 24, 2004 5:23 PM -0700 Daniel Quinlan
<qu...@pathname.com> wrote:

> 2. under "updates", mkdir 3.0.0/rules/
>
> 3. initial filename creation/convention:
>
>    70_testing.cf - test rules, gets tested nightly
>    80_updates.cf - test rules passing QA, not created until QA is
> specified    85_scores.cf  - score updates passing QA, not created until
> QA is specified
>
>    we can split up 80_updates.cf later as necessary, rename stuff, etc.

Why put the test rules in the same directory as those tested? If everything
passing QA is in a separate directory, it should be easier to publish, as a
client could just do an "svn update" to grab the latest QA'd release
without pulling stuff still in testing.