Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Mark Rousell -- Signal100.com" <sa...@signal100.com> on 2005/03/08 01:30:00 UTC

SA log to syslog on cygwin?

I'm running SA 3.0.2 on Cygwin with SA running as spamd, using this
command line:-
	perl -T -w -S "spamd." -D --syslog-socket=stderr

This works fine (scans emails and correctly marks as ham/spam) but
produces this logging-related message:-

	trying to connect to syslog/stderr...
	Invalid argument passed to setlogsock; must be 'stream', 'unix',
	 'tcp', 'udp' or 'inet' at /usr/bin/spamd. line 363
	no error connecting to syslog/stderr
	logging enabled:
        	facility: mail
	        socket:   stderr
        	output:   syslog

I'm not sure what this message is telling me. Can anyone tell me if it's
possible for me to get SA to sends its log output to the Cygwin 'syslog
daemon'? I can manually run the 'syslog' command line program like this
	syslog message
and it successfully sends the "message" text to the Windows Event Log. Can
I get SA to do the same? Or can I get Cygwin to run a real syslog daemon?

Any pointers gratefully received.

MarkR

Re: SA log to syslog on cygwin?

Posted by "Mark Rousell -- Signal100.com" <sa...@signal100.com>.
Martin,

> seen similar issues with MailScanner on cygwin and the syslog code.
> From memory the furthest that got was to rewrite the loggin stuff so it
> goes to a file rather than letting syslog handling it - ie syslog
> doesn't work very well on cygwin.
>
> I'd either run SA native on perl & windows or fire up small-ish box
> with a *nix OS on it...

Many thanks for your assistance.

MarkR

Re: SA log to syslog on cygwin?

Posted by Martin Hepworth <ma...@solid-state-logic.com>.
Mark

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Mark Rousell -- Signal100.com wrote:
> I'm running SA 3.0.2 on Cygwin with SA running as spamd, using this
> command line:-
> 	perl -T -w -S "spamd." -D --syslog-socket=stderr
>
> This works fine (scans emails and correctly marks as ham/spam) but
> produces this logging-related message:-
>
> 	trying to connect to syslog/stderr...
> 	Invalid argument passed to setlogsock; must be 'stream', 'unix',
> 	 'tcp', 'udp' or 'inet' at /usr/bin/spamd. line 363
> 	no error connecting to syslog/stderr
> 	logging enabled:
>         	facility: mail
> 	        socket:   stderr
>         	output:   syslog
>

> I'm not sure what this message is telling me. Can anyone tell me if it's
> possible for me to get SA to sends its log output to the Cygwin 'syslog
> daemon'? I can manually run the 'syslog' command line program like this
> 	syslog message
> and it successfully sends the "message" text to the Windows Event Log. Can
> I get SA to do the same? Or can I get Cygwin to run a real syslog daemon?
>
> Any pointers gratefully received.
>

> MarkR

the system manager.