Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2004/10/05 19:30:51 UTC

3.1 Status / progress / thoughts

I'm just about ready to check in the first interesting changes for 3.1.

Just started introducing the 3.1 DTD.

<inherited-binding>, <static-binding>, <message-binding> have gone
away (still valid if you use the 3.0 DTD).

<binding> is now <binding name="..." value="..."> or <binding
name="..."> .... </binding>

You now use prefixes in the spec exactly the same as in the HTML
template. Consistency!

Example:

<component id="loop" type="Foreach">
  <binding name="source" value='ognl:items"/>
  <binding name="value" value="ognl:item"/>
  <binding name="element" value="tr"/>
</component>

<service> has gone away; you now need to do services from inside
HiveMind. 3.0 DTDs that use service will see a warning.

So, you can see, that I'm trying to simplify, streamline and improve
consistency in the specs.

One thing I would like dearly to do is make a few broader changes:

<property> (3.0) --> <meta> (3.1)  [[ for defining meta-data ]]
<property-specification> (3.0) --> <property> (3.1) [[ for adding
properties to a class ]]

I think it's much neater, and if this was 1.0, there would be no
question.  But it's 3.1 ... will this throw users too much?

Perhaps we support both <property> and <property-specification> in
3.1, as a transition towards <property>?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

Re: 3.1 Status / progress / thoughts

Posted by Paul Ferraro <pm...@columbia.edu>.
Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

>Tapestry uses a validating parser; the public id selects the DTD which
>is validated.  The SpecificationParser knows which DTD and makes
>descisions about how to procede at certain points based on that.
>
>I don't think you could do the version approach you specified ... and
>if you could, I don't see what it buys on top of choosing the correct
>DTD version.
>
>I have thought about doing some big refactoring to allow the DTD to
>choose a kind of handler to do the rest of the work. Hasn't been a big
>need for it yet.

That's what I had in mind, i.e. choosing a content handler based on
version - It should have been obvious to a less tired person that the
DTD already indicates this. :)

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Also, your example is 100% valid except for the version attribute on
the <page-specification> element.  The DTD identifies a version, and
that's used when parsing.  Old 3.0 DTDs are still valid and will (with
noted exceptions) still work as expected.

Posted by Paul Ferraro <pm...@columbia.edu>.
Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

>I'm just about ready to check in the first interesting changes for 3.1.
>
>Just started introducing the 3.1 DTD.
>

><inherited-binding>, <static-binding>, <message-binding> have gone
>away (still valid if you use the 3.0 DTD).
>
><binding> is now <binding name="..." value="..."> or <binding
>name="..."> .... </binding>
>
>You now use prefixes in the spec exactly the same as in the HTML
>template. Consistency!
>
>Example:
>
><component id="loop" type="Foreach">
>  <binding name="source" value='ognl:items"/>
>  <binding name="value" value="ognl:item"/>
>  <binding name="element" value="tr"/>
></component>

I like it.

Posted by Alex <al...@gmail.com>.
Hope we will get a change list soon.

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
LOL!

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harish Krishnaswamy <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
I'll chime in that I think abbreviating names is not a good idea.

Jamie

Posted by Eric Everman <ev...@precedadesign.com>.

Posted by Pablo Lalloni <pl...@afip.gov.ar>.

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
Looks like these changes are going to be fairly easy to support in Spindle..

Yah!

Geoff