Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Alexxoid <al...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/28 22:35:07 UTC

svn checkout crush on mapped samba share from windows client

Hello!

I have svn repository on my linux local server, also I have samba domain
setupped on this server. I try to checkout project from windows machine
(that is a samba domain member) on the mapped (to the server) network
drive. When, tortoise svn (subclipse client too) shows message:

checkout -r HEAD svn://192.168.1.1/test/trunk
    A  W:/th.it/htdocs_test/tmp/ch/structure
Óêàçàííîå ñåòåâîå èìÿ áîëåå íåäîñòóïíî.
svn: Can't move 'W:\th.it\htdocs_cms\tmp\ch\structure\.svn\tmp\entries'
to 'W:\th.it\htdocs_cms\tmp\ch\structure\.svn\entries'

also, windows client is freezes as though mapped drive temporary
unavailable (Total Commander with opened network drive freezes too).

I try to downgrade subversion server from 1.4 to 1.3, but problem stays.
Also, I try to simply copy to this mapped drive another svn project,
which was succesfully checkouted (with .svn hidden folders) on the local
disk drive -- that was succesfully completed without any errors.

Please advise me how to solve this problem...

Re: svn checkout crush on mapped samba share from windows client

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 29, 2008 2:13 AM, Alexxoid <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> John Peacock wrote:
> > Alexxoid wrote:
> >> I have svn repository on my linux local server, also I have samba domain
> >> setupped on this server. I try to checkout project from windows machine
> >> (that is a samba domain member) on the mapped (to the server) network
> >> drive.
> >
> > The solution is to check out the working copy on the local Windows box, not on
> > the Samba mounted volume.
> Thanks for response.
>
> This is a not acceptable choice for me, because we are using linux
> server as the development server -- it includes apache + php
> applications. I think there are not a good idea to setup apache + php on
> any windows machine.

I have no idea about PHP, but not running Apache on a Windows machine
(in a development environment) seems strange: lots of energy have gone
into Apache since 2.0 to make and keep it running on Windows...

bye,

Erik.

Re: svn checkout crush on mapped samba share from windows client

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> He didn't say he was sharing a working copy. :) If he is sharing a
> working copy, then yes, he should stop that. But for example at the web
> design shop where I used to work, the developers also used Windows
> machines, and used TortoiseSVN to check out working copies onto
> Samba-mounted shares from a central Linux development server. These were
> private working copies for each developer, in their home directory on
> the Linux server. It worked. Something could be strange about Alexxoid's
> Samba setup that's preventing it from working for him.

It's very possible that you are correct that the Alexxoid's Samba configuration
is busted.  But I still maintain that if the *consumer* of the working copy
resides on the Linux box (i.e. a web server), then it should have it's own
*local* working copy.

The links I provided, especially SVN::Notify::Config make it trivial to create
as many post-commit synced working copies as you should desire (i.e. one per
developer).  The sole drawback is that this means commits can be made that will
not be consistent (i.e. "break the build"), if the only testing done is after
the commit itself has been made (not uncommon in a dynamic development
environment like PHP).  There are ways around that as well, by having feature
branches for each developer (which has it's own set of complications).

John

Re: svn checkout crush on mapped samba share from windows client

Posted by Alexxoid <al...@gmail.com>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2008, at 21:55, Andy Levy wrote:

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> He didn't say he was sharing a working copy. :) If he is sharing a
>>> working copy, then yes, he should stop that. But for example at the
>>> web design shop where I used to work, the developers also used
>>> Windows machines, and used TortoiseSVN to check out working copies
>>> onto Samba-mounted shares from a central Linux development server.
>>> These were private working copies for each developer, in their home
>>> directory on the Linux server. It worked. Something could be strange
>>> about Alexxoid's Samba setup that's preventing it from working for him.
>>
>> Ah, but he is "sharing" a WC between OSes, and that *is* discouraged.
>> If you've got svn:eol-style set to native, and use TSVN to operate on
>> the WC via Samba on a Linux server, you're going to have DOS/Windows
>> line-endings on your Linux host, which would normally expect *nix line
>> endings. Then there's also the possible issues with permissions,
>> symlinks, etc.
>
> Yup, for those reasons our policy was to never use svn:eol-style native
> (always use svn:eol-style LF and configure Windows editors to know how
> to deal with that) and never use symlinks. Permissions weren't a problem
> for us.
I try to mark all project files with svn:eol-style=LF property, but
problem stays... Also, I determine, that checkouting folder without any
subfolders completed without any errors...

My samba configuration file:
[global]
	netbios name = MAINSERVER.IT
	workgroup = TEST
	server string = TEST Domain Server

	hosts allow = 192.168.1.
	security = user
	encrypt passwords = yes
	interfaces = lo eth0
	bind interfaces only = yes

	local master = yes
	os level = 65
	domain master = yes
	preferred master = yes

	null passwords = no
	hide unreadable = yes
	hide dot files = yes

	domain logons = yes
	logon path = \\Mainserver.it\home\.profile
	logon drive = Z:
	logon home = \\Mainserver.it\home
	logon script = startup.cmd

	wins support = yes
	name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
	dns proxy = no

	oplocks = no
	level2 oplocks = no
	kernel oplocks = no

	time server = yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50

	add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
	add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
	add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
	delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
	set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"

	passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://192.168.1.1/
	ldap delete dn = Yes
	ldap ssl = no
	winbind nested groups = no

	ldap suffix = dc=mainserver,dc=it
	ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=mainserver,dc=it
	ldap group suffix = ou=Group
	ldap user suffix = ou=People
	ldap machine suffix = ou=People
	ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap

[work]
	comment = Sources folder
	path = /var/www
	browseable = yes
	writable = yes
	write = yes
	read only = no
	create mask = 0666
         directory mask = 0777
	oplocks = no
         level2 oplocks = no
         kernel oplocks = no

Re: svn checkout crush on mapped samba share from windows client

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 28, 2008, at 19:37, John Peacock wrote:

> Alexxoid wrote:
>
>> This is a not acceptable choice for me, because we are using linux
>> server as the development server -- it includes apache + php
>> applications.
>
> Then you should have said that before, so I could given you the
> "correct" answer
> the first time. ;-)
>
> The development server should have it's own working copy, that you
> are not
> sharing with a workstation.  You should never share working copies
> between
> people or machines, because it can confuse you when you try and
> commit changes.
>  Every working copy should be "local" and unique to that person/
> process.

[snip]

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
Alexxoid wrote:
> This is a not acceptable choice for me, because we are using linux
> server as the development server -- it includes apache + php
> applications.

Then you should have said that before, so I could given you the "correct" answer
the first time. ;-)

The development server should have it's own working copy, that you are not
sharing with a workstation.  You should never share working copies between
people or machines, because it can confuse you when you try and commit changes.
 Every working copy should be "local" and unique to that person/process.

The development model I used at my last job was to have the developers write
code and commit changes (often) on their own boxes, usually to trunk.  Then a
post-commit hook which would keep a test server in sync with the repository.
Then when a particular page or feature was complete, a tag would be created from
trunk, which would cause the production server to automatically be updated (from
the same post-commit script).

I even wrote a tool to make this trivially easy:

	http://search.cpan.org/search?query=SVN::Notify::Mirror
	http://search.cpan.org/search?query=SVN::Notify::Config

The second link is to a module I didn't write originally, but which I now
maintain.  It makes this sort of automation completely painless.

John

Re: svn checkout crush on mapped samba share from windows client

Posted by Alexxoid <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Alexxoid wrote:

> I have svn repository on my linux local server, also I have samba domain
> setupped on this server. I try to checkout project from windows machine
> (that is a samba domain member) on the mapped (to the server) network
> drive. When, tortoise svn (subclipse client too) shows message:
>
> checkout -r HEAD svn://192.168.1.1/test/trunk
>    A  W:/th.it/htdocs_test/tmp/ch/structure
> Óêàçàííîå ñåòåâîå èìÿ áîëåå íåäîñòóïíî.
> svn: Can't move 'W:\th.it\htdocs_cms\tmp\ch\structure\.svn\tmp\entries'
> to 'W:\th.it\htdocs_cms\tmp\ch\structure\.svn\entries'
>
> also, windows client is freezes as though mapped drive temporary
> unavailable (Total Commander with opened network drive freezes too).

This looks like some kind of character set problem with samba but I
don't know how to solve it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com