Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de> on 2010/04/29 21:36:19 UTC

Tapestry website update wanted or not?

Hi all,

I would like to know, if there is still interest in a website update or
not. We have seen so many discussion threads on the topic but every time
there is something concrete there is a long silence.

I made some efforts to create a new website structure using existing
technologies (Maven site). There had been some remarks on that but the
effort got stuck finally. Some community members proposed to look for a
better more flexible technology in order to integrate news or other
sources of information.

In a recent discussion Ulrich proposed the alternative to use a Wiki
based solution and I proposed the use of a static site generator. We
discussed pros and cons but did not get to a final decision. Both
approaches are viable solutions.

About 10 days ago, I put together a prototype to demonstrate how a
static site generator works and allow the community to play with that
solution. I was a kind of surprised that there wasn't a discussion. It
is fine, if we decide not to use the approach because this allows us to
go with the Wiki approach or another alternative. But if there is no
interest in discussing and finally deciding on alternatives, then it is
most unlikely that we will ever manage to update the website.

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----
Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence
http://www.laliluna.de

Re: Tapestry website update wanted or not?

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:36:19 -0300, Sebastian Hennebrueder
<us...@laliluna.de> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi!

I agree that we need to decide on a solution and start working on it.

I vote on wiki or some other way that allow us to update pages on the fly.
IMHO, replacing one static generator by another is not a good solution.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor

Re: Tapestry website update wanted or not?

Posted by Robin Komiwes <od...@gmail.com>.
What about trying to sync the website/doc rework for Tapestry 5.2 release?

Posted by Robin Komiwes <od...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Piero Sartini <li...@pierosartini.de>.

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Piero Sartini <li...@pierosartini.de> wrote:

> To make the point: Tapestry is developed by excellent developers,
> whats missing are marketing people and designers!
> I am pretty sure there are some of us who could fullfill these roles -
> but another problem is responsibility and common sense. My oppinion is
> that tapestry needs to decide on a direction and strategy first. After
> that, people may jump in.

Good point, bad attitude. If you feel you can close the gap and let
committers to decide on your work.

Cheers
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Tapestry website update wanted or not?

Posted by Piero Sartini <li...@pierosartini.de>.
> I would also say that the actual website looks like a bit "older" and would
> need some redesign, with quotes from users, community sections etc.
> Like :
> http://liftweb.net/
> http://www.grails.org/
> http://jquery.com/

+1. It's not enough to have a good framework and easy to modify
documentation - we need to create a nice looking, easy to navigate,
easy to start with web presence to gain more users. The first
impression of tapestry is not that great at all, and I bet a lot of
users just move away because of this.

To make the point: Tapestry is developed by excellent developers,
whats missing are marketing people and designers!
I am pretty sure there are some of us who could fullfill these roles -
but another problem is responsibility and common sense. My oppinion is
that tapestry needs to decide on a direction and strategy first. After
that, people may jump in.

The homepage and documentation needs to be just one piece of a more
general strategy.

                     Piero

Re: Tapestry website update wanted or not?

Posted by Robin Komiwes <od...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I completely agree with Kalle on:

"but I bet that users in general are missing documentation that is more
flowing and more tutorial type, similar to Spring's and Hibernate's.
It's difficult to use the current documentation if you don't know
exactly what you are looking for."

I would also say that the actual website looks like a bit "older" and would
need some redesign, with quotes from users, community sections etc.
Like :
http://liftweb.net/
http://www.grails.org/
http://jquery.com/

Regards,

Robin

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Igor Drobiazko
<ig...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I'm pretty fine with Maven-based site. There is no lack of
> documentation. The problem is the structure and organization. Tapestry's
> documentation is hard to find because it is spread over several modules.
> First of all we need to move T5 site to the start page and maybe put all the
> documentation into a single module. I guess no switch to any technology or
> format is needed.

Completely agree.

Talking about other's ideas of an "older-looking site"  IMHO it seems
obvious that having an appealing site is a plus but that doesn't
deserve the importance others are giving.

--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Tapestry website update wanted or not?

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.

<us...@laliluna.de>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know, if there is still interest in a website update or
> not. We have seen so many discussion threads on the topic but every time
> there is something concrete there is a long silence.
>
> I made some efforts to create a new website structure using existing
> technologies (Maven site). There had been some remarks on that but the
> effort got stuck finally. Some community members proposed to look for a
> better more flexible technology in order to integrate news or other sources
> of information.
>
> In a recent discussion Ulrich proposed the alternative to use a Wiki based
> solution and I proposed the use of a static site generator. We discussed
> pros and cons but did not get to a final decision. Both approaches are
> viable solutions.
>
> About 10 days ago, I put together a prototype to demonstrate how a static
> site generator works and allow the community to play with that solution. I
> was a kind of surprised that there wasn't a discussion. It is fine, if we
> decide not to use the approach because this allows us to go with the Wiki
> approach or another alternative. But if there is no interest in discussing
> and finally deciding on alternatives, then it is most unlikely that we will
> ever manage to update the website.
>
> --
> Best Regards / Viele Grüße
>
> Sebastian Hennebrueder
> -----
> Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence
> http://www.laliluna.de

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de/blog