Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Mitch Gitman <mg...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/16 02:53:33 UTC

trying to configure the Hudson Ivy plugin

I realize I might better be posting this query to the Hudson users mailing
list. And I probably will.

I've installed the Hudson Ivy plugin on Hudson, the CI server.

When I want to configure a particular job (project) to use the Ivy plugin, I
go to the "Post-build Actions" section and check "Trigger the build of other
project based on the Ivy management system." For "Ivy file," I fill in the
path relative to the project root of the ivy.xml file to use. When I do
this, though, I get this error:
HTTP Status 404 - /publisher/IvyBuildTrigger/checkIvyFile

type Status report

message /publisher/IvyBuildTrigger/checkIvyFile

description The requested resource (/publisher/IvyBuildTrigger/checkIvyFile)
is not available.

I've seen an issue in Hudson's issues tracker that describes this same
problem. The issue thread suggests this has been fixed as of March 5:
http://www.nabble.com/-Issue-3100--New---Correctly-configured-ivy.xml-in-project-post-build-action-results-in-HTTP-404-error-td22129981.html

FWIW, I am using the latest version of Hudson. Has anyone else encountered
this? And if so and if you managed to get past it, how? Or was it ignorable?

But then I have a potentially bigger issue with the Hudson Ivy plugin. The
documentation of how to configure it is ambiguous:
http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Ivy+Plugin

The above page suggests one should also check a box, "Build other projects."
And apparently, you need to fill in the names of projects.

I'm going to figure that the checkboxes work like this:

   - "Trigger the build of other project based on the Ivy management
   system": upstream projects; projects that this project depends on
   - "Build other projects": downstream projects; projects that depend on
   this project

Am I interpreting this correctly? If so, I can't help but question the
usefulness of this plugin to begin with since what I really care about is
downstream projects. Perhaps someone who's using Hudson with Ivy can explain
to me the value that the Hudson Ivy plugin provides above and beyond just
manually specifying the dependent projects to build via "Build other
projects."

Re: trying to configure the Hudson Ivy plugin

Posted by Juha Ranta <ju...@iki.fi>.

Mitch Gitman wrote:

> When I want to configure a particular job (project) to use the Ivy plugin,
> go to the "Post-build Actions" section and check "Trigger the build of
> other
> project based on the Ivy management system." For "Ivy file," I fill in the
> path relative to the project root of the ivy.xml file to use. When I do
> this, though, I get this error:
> HTTP Status 404 - /publisher/IvyBuildTrigger/checkIvyFile
>
> type Status report
>
> message /publisher/IvyBuildTrigger/checkIvyFile
>
> description The requested resource
> (/publisher/IvyBuildTrigger/checkIvyFile)
> is not available.

I had a similar problem, I don't remember if it was this exact one, but to
"solve" it I opened the Ivy plugin package and manually hardcoded some
address to the jelly configuration files (I don't remember exactly). I hope
it has been fixed.

> But then I have a potentially bigger issue with the Hudson Ivy plugin. The
> documentation of how to configure it is ambiguous:
> http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Ivy+Plugin
>
> The above page suggests one should also check a box, "Build other
> projects."
> And apparently, you need to fill in the names of projects.
>
> I'm going to figure that the checkboxes work like this:
>
>    - "Trigger the build of other project based on the Ivy management
>    system": upstream projects; projects that this project depends on
>    - "Build other projects": downstream projects; projects that depend on
>    this project
>
> Am I interpreting this correctly? If so, I can't help but question the
> usefulness of this plugin to begin with since what I really care about is
> downstream projects. Perhaps someone who's using Hudson with Ivy can
> explain
> to me the value that the Hudson Ivy plugin provides above and beyond just
> manually specifying the dependent projects to build via "Build other
> projects."

In Hudson, when you configure that A has a downstream project B, then it is
automatically assumed that B has an upstream project A, and vice versa.

The Ivy plugin automatically configures the upstream projects of a given
project. After all, only the upstream projects can be figured out from an
ivy.xml. However, things aren't so sad, because the downstream projects will
also add their upstream projects to Hudson via Ivy plugin. This means that
when you add another project which depends on your first project, your first
project will automatically get your another project as an downstream
project.

Re: trying to configure the Hudson Ivy plugin

Posted by Lars Blomenkamp <ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi there,
I haven't tried out the IVY-Plugin yet so I just can say sth. about Hudson.
As far as I know, Hudson just builds projects that have to be build after
another one. Example: You've got a core-module and some other projects using
the core. Configuring the core you're able to build other projects
afterward. The other way round in your "sub"-projects you're able to
say:"also build this project after one of the following has been build". So
you can trigger the building of your project from two sides but just from
one cause.

Greets
Lars

Re: trying to configure the Hudson Ivy plugin

Posted by Martin Eigenbrodt <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Ivy Plugin 0.3 has been released. This should fix the "HTTP Status 404".

M.

Posted by Martin Eigenbrodt <ma...@googlemail.com>.