Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by André Velle <an...@netcom-gsm.no> on 2004/06/10 22:25:32 UTC

Page not found under stress

Hi,

We're planning to release a site based upon Lenya in a few weeks,
but have run into a problem in stress testing. We're running 1.2dev on
solaris 9 on two SunFire 3800 servers each with 4Gb ram and two 750mhz
Ultrasparc IV processors.

When we run up 20 simultaneous users (with realistic thinking times), we get
"page does not exist in this language" errors from Lenya on all pages after ca
10 minutes full load. The problem persists until the servlet engine is
restarted.

Anyone seen anything like this?
Is there a known bug that can cause this?

Regards,
André Velle
NetCom as

Re: Page not found under stress

Posted by André Velle <an...@netcom-gsm.no>.
 Gregor J. Rothfuss <gregor <at> apache.org> writes:
> can you run the cocoon instrumentation to pin down the bottleneck?
>
> what are your VM settings?
>
> did you look into cocoon / lenya performance tuning?
>
> consider a reverse proxy?
>
> we'd be very interested if you could add your findings to the wiki at
>
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaPerformance

Were using java 1.4.2 with 1024m Xmx and Xms. I've been through the performance
tuning pages, that's already increased performance by a factor of 5. We have a
reverse proxy in front, but we have a lot of forms merged into cms pages, so we
need to handle heavy load directly.

I'm trying the instrumentation today, I'll post any interesting finding, thanks
for the tip!

Regards,

André

Re: Page not found under stress

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: Page not found under stress

Posted by André Velle <an...@netcom-gsm.no>.
Andreas Hartmann <andreas <at> apache.org> writes:

> Does Lenya start to fill the logs at this point?
> If yes, with what messages?

We get messages like this:

 [sitemap.handled-errors] (/cms/ncno/live/index.html)
http8880-Processor38/PipelineNode: Document /index does not exist
org.apache.lenya.cms.publication.DocumentDoesNotExistException:
Document /index does not exist
        at
org.apache.lenya.cms.cocoon.acting.LanguageExistsAction.act
(LanguageExistsAction.java:79)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.ActTypeNode.invoke
(ActTypeNode.java:159)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode
.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:84)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PreparableMatchNode.invoke
(PreparableMatchNode.java:165)

Re: Page not found under stress

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
André Velle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're planning to release a site based upon Lenya in a few weeks,
> but have run into a problem in stress testing. We're running 1.2dev on
> solaris 9 on two SunFire 3800 servers each with 4Gb ram and two 750mhz
> Ultrasparc IV processors.
>
> When we run up 20 simultaneous users (with realistic thinking times), we get
> "page does not exist in this language" errors from Lenya on all pages after ca
> 10 minutes full load. The problem persists until the servlet engine is
> restarted.

Does Lenya start to fill the logs at this point?
If yes, with what messages?

-- Andreas