Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru> on 2008/09/12 10:09:28 UTC

OOXML branch and JDK 1.4

Hi All,

What the need to support jdk 1.4 in the OOXML branch is? What about making JDK 1.5 a minimum requirement since POI 3.5?

Currently only ooxml code uses JDK 1.5 features. The OLE2 stuff is compatible with jdk 1.4. That means we can't use
enums, generics and other 1.5 features in HSSF and other OLE2 projects.

It's 2008. J2SE 1.4.2 will reach its End of Service Life in October 2008:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

I think we can start using 1.5 features throughout the ooxml branch and, probably, in trunk.

If 1.4 compatibility is required, there are tools to convert 1.5 code into 1.4 compatible.
The most well-known is Retroweaver:
  http://retroweaver.sourceforge.net/

It operates by transforming Java class files compiled by a 1.5 compiler into class files which can be run on an older
virtual machine. Interestingly, other Apache projects already use Retroweaver, for example FOP.

What do people think?

Yegor

Re: OOXML branch and JDK 1.4

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, David Fisher wrote:
> Summary so far: 5 are +1 ... and 0 -1.

I'd say mine's a -1 to changing it just now. I'd like to see the jdk 1.4
requirement dropped, but as previously mentioned I think we ought to get
3.2 and 3.5 out first.

Speaking of which, I'll probably build the next 3.5 beta tomorrow or
monday. Last call for patches!

Nick

Re: OOXML branch and JDK 1.4

Posted by "N. Hira" <nh...@cognocys.com>.
+1

-h

Re: OOXML branch and JDK 1.4

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
+1

Re: OOXML branch and JDK 1.4

Posted by Andy Oliver <ac...@gmail.com>.
+1 to dumping 1.4 completely

Re: OOXML branch and JDK 1.4

Posted by Paolo Mottadelli <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: OOXML branch and JDK 1.4

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@sourcesense.com>.

Re: OOXML branch and JDK 1.4

Posted by Paolo Mottadelli <pa...@gmail.com>.
I would like to let you all know that Sourcesense is now increasing
the development pace.
Our work will be finalized to reach a complete and stable enough
status of XSSF to have a first FINAL release.
Saying 'complete' I roughly think about a coverage similar to what the
2.5 HSSF Release had.

Cheers,

Re: OOXML branch and JDK 1.4

Posted by Andy Oliver <ac...@gmail.com>.

Re: OOXML branch and JDK 1.4

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.

Re: OOXML branch and JDK 1.4

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.

> My vote would be that as soon as we get poi 3.2 out, we switch the ooxml
> branch to trunk. We then release 3.5, our last jdk 1.4 hssf release.
> Finally, we tag the next release as poi 4.0, and make it jdk 1.5
> everywhere. We can then go through adding generics and enums as we want,
> and possibly do a 4.0 release not too long after that.

I got the point about merging. Although my plan would be to release 3.2, switch ooxml to trunk and start using jdk 1.5.
There are excellent opportunities to improve common ooxml-ole2 interfaces if we use 1.5.

Yegor

Re: OOXML branch and JDK 1.4

Posted by Andy Oliver <ac...@gmail.com>.
I'm still working with Microsoft on getting the verbiage we need to
expand patent coverage to "compatibility" and they've been very
cooperative.  The delay ATM is on my side, but I'm making progress (I
just wanted a legal review before I send my latest copy).  I'm -1 on a
production release of OOXML until then (but will obviously not
obstruct milestone releases etc).  I don't anticipate that it will be
much much longer.

1.4 is past EOL.  It is in the stage of "kind of dangerous" to keep
running.  They did put out the timezone patch for it, but I wouldn't
count on much more.

-Andy

Re: OOXML branch and JDK 1.4

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.