Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1996/06/11 20:04:44 UTC

perl module for apache (fwd)

Now let's see if I can remember the names correctly.

Doug?

BTW, what's the state of mod_perl etc?
I only tried quickly to get it running a few weeks ago but failed
(I forget the reason). Does it need something newer than perl 5.002 ?

rob
-=-=-=-=-

Sender: spfarrel@midway.uchicago.edu
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 12:57:32 +0000
From: steve farrell <sp...@midway.uchicago.edu>
To: robh@imdb.com
Subject: perl module for apache

someone once told me that there was an plan to make a perl module for
apache.  the idea was that if the perl process was running with the
server process, that you wouldn't need to fork every time you get a cgi
request.  at least that was one idea --

know anything about this?

i'm quite interested since i use perl quite heavily (solely?) for some
work i'm doing, and would expect to see quite a performance boost from
some scheme like this.  (actually, my plan was a multi-threaded perl
"server" that could process scripts passed into it asynchronously of
each other...  but that's probably a LOT of work, and maybe not even
such a good idea?)