Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Rob McEwen (PowerView Systems)" <ro...@powerviewsystems.com> on 2006/06/26 19:45:14 UTC

RE: skip_rbl_checks

Does anyone know **exactly** what "skip_rbl_checks = 1" turns off?

I know that it turns of all "regular" RBL checks (where the IP address is checked against a traditional RBL)

I'm fairly sure that it turns off SURBL & URIBL checks, right?

I'm fairly sure that it does NOT turn off DCC, Razor, Pyzor, etc, right?

But what else is effected?... is there a comprehensive list or a more detailed explanation anywhere?

Thanks,

Rob McEwen
PowerView Systems
rob@PowerViewSystems.com

Re: skip_rbl_checks

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 01:45:14PM -0400, Rob McEwen (PowerView Systems) wrote:
> I know that it turns of all "regular" RBL checks (where the IP address is checked against a traditional RBL)

Yes.

> I'm fairly sure that it turns off SURBL & URIBL checks, right?

No.  The URIDNSBL plugin doesn't pay attention to the skip_rbl_checks option.

> I'm fairly sure that it does NOT turn off DCC, Razor, Pyzor, etc, right?

Correct.

> But what else is effected?... is there a comprehensive list or a more detailed explanation anywhere?

I don't think there's a lot of documentation written for users out there
about this (wiki maybe?), but in general it's any rbl checks which is
what the docs say.  (ie: any of the check_rbl* rules)

The slightly more detailed version is that if you grep through the code
for skip_rbl_checks, there are three functions in EvalTests which check the
option value:

check_rbl_backend
This ends up getting called by check_rbl, check_rbl_txt, check_rbl_accreditor
-- all of which are exclusively used in the rules files.

check_rbl_sub
Also known as check_rbl_results_for, used exclusively in the rules files.

_check_rbl_addresses
Called from check_rbl_from_host and check_rbl_envfrom, used exclusively in the
rules files.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to convert the above
information into a rule listing, but in short it's the DNSBL and DNSWL
rules.

:)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Software engineering is a race between engineers who try to create