Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com> on 2013/10/23 07:32:13 UTC

[ASF4.2.1] default to 64-bit system VM template

  We are planning to  make 64-bit system vm templates as default offering in 4.2.1.
This is an initial email to have thoughts from the community on this.

-abhi

Re: [ASF4.2.1] default to 64-bit system VM template

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.
Looked at the scripts found minor differences have fixed those commit
499a8c0915dd25b3d9c813aa1b715ba9ba865ffb.

Posted by Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
32-bit vms also "generally" perform better on XenServer (depending on the
workload).
The issue with 32-bit Linux is that it has usually only has 800M for so
for available for the kernel [1].
This limits the number of connections that can be tracked by the conntrack
module to around
800/300 =~ 2.5 million. Of course this leave little space for other kernel
tasks.

If you've got a busy web site behind CloudStack's HAProxy then this may
not be enough.

[1]
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/4929/what-are-high-memory-and-low-m
emory-on-linux

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
<Ab...@citrix.com> wrote:

>   We are planning to  make 64-bit system vm templates as default offering in 4.2.1.
> This is an initial email to have thoughts from the community on this.
>
> -abhi

-1
Who is this we?
I agree with Wido We adhere to semver, and accordingly 4.2.1 should be
a bugfix release.

--David

RE: [ASF4.2.1] default to 64-bit system VM template

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

[Animesh>] Given that we are now 2 weeks from feature freeze we should lock down on system templates for 4.3 soon, I will track the 64bit template for 4.3

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.