Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org> on 2020/06/09 22:20:48 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Replace whitelist blacklist with allowlist denylist

Hi Folks,

*What*
I would like to propose that we replace source code coining 'whiteList' and
'blackList'-esque terms/phrases with some more representative language e.g.
allowList, denyList.

*Where*
* subcollection plugin -
https://github.com/apache/nutch/blob/master/src/plugin/subcollection/src/java/org/apache/nutch/collection/Subcollection.java#L46-L47
* urlfilter-domainblacklist plugin -
https://github.com/apache/nutch/tree/master/src/plugin/urlfilter-domainblacklist

*Why*
I think we could and should use more neutral terminology and lead by
example.
I want to STRESS that this proposal is by no means an effort by me to
reflect negatively on the authors or their EXCELLENT contributions to
Nutch. I hope this is taken in good faith and we as a community can come
together on this one.

*How*
Please voice your opinions here and we can take it from there. I would
personally love to hear all opinions and I will personally take any
action(s) if we decide to go forward with the proposal.

Thank you for your consideration folks.

Lewis

--
http://home.apache.org/~lewismc/
http://people.apache.org/keys/committer/lewismc

Re: [EXTERNAL] [PROPOSAL] Replace whitelist blacklist with allowlist denylist

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I follow the conversation at members@a.o. too.

I'm +1 for it.