Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Mark Leicester <ma...@efurbishment.com> on 2005/06/10 04:07:32 UTC

[Docs] Refactoring, porting Wiki content, and evaluating Daisy

Hi all,

Along with this kind of notifying post to the mailing list, I'm also
keeping a blog of my Daisy Documentation work:
http://www.planetcocoon.com/blog/category/daisy (or there's an RSS feed
here: http://www.planetcocoon.com/blog/category/daisy/feed) This post
is from http://www.planetcocoon.com/node/2276.

                  - o -

Last night I refactored, edited and added some content to the existing
Daisy repository according to the structure discussed yesterday
afternoon. I also began the process of converting some Wiki content to
Daisy.

I created a CategoryInDaisy page in the Wiki, so that it is easy to
record a wiki page as having been transferred. Perhaps we could have
CategoryDaisyInProgress, CategoryDaisyComplete? I also recorded on the
Wiki page where a piece of content has gone (i.e. a Wiki page may be
split or combined).

After about 3 hours solid Daisy usage (as a consumer rather than as a
developer) I'm quite impressed. The positives for me so far are:

     * The usability of the WYSIWYG editor is good, and I only needed to
swap into raw HTML view a few times (to remove <p> tags within pasted
<li> for example).
     * Daisy was very quick and responsive (with occasional pauses/slow
round-trips).
     * The "Duplicate" feature is very useful in refactoring work (i.e.
splitting one page into two or more).
     * Easy and intuitive editing of the navigation map.

On the other hand, the negatives are:

     * Newly created pages are invisible until they are published (by
someone with publishing rights). It's a little like flying blind. I had
to remember document IDs in order to cross-link (unpublished pages
don't show up in the link chooser). I couldn't review my newly created
pages unless I edited them (if I view a newly created page I just see
"This document is not yet published.").
     * I had to edit the navigation structure to see my changes. Again,
adding document IDs/labels to this structure had to be done from
memory.
     * Switching between the navigation structure editor and the page
editor was tedious. I understand the power of this separation, but from
a usability point of view it would be nice to make the management of a
page's location possible from the page itself.

I think it's going to prove difficult for editors to make significant
structural changes due to this lack of visibility and immediate
feedback. Incidentally, despite not having publish permissions, I can
still see a checkbox saying "Publish changes immediately" when I edit a
page.

I may have overlooked better ways of using Daisy, so please let me know
if there are things I could do differently! As Upayavira said: "As to
whether this is the right way - I'm sure there are more technically
perfect approaches. The thing about this one is that it has the
community behind it[...] And that has to be worth something."

Steven, Helma, et al, keep up the great work on Daisy!

Mark

Re: [Docs] Refactoring, porting Wiki content, and evaluating Daisy

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 10 Jun 2005, at 04:07, Mark Leicester wrote:

>     * Newly created pages are invisible until they are published (by
> someone with publishing rights). It's a little like flying blind. I
> had to remember document IDs in order to cross-link (unpublished pages
> don't show up in the link chooser). I couldn't review my newly created
> pages unless I edited them (if I view a newly created page I just see
> "This document is not yet published.").

You can access unpublished versions from the "Versions" overview.

Check http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cocooninaction/20.html,
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cocooninaction/20/versions.html
and http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cocooninaction/20/version/2

>     * I had to edit the navigation structure to see my changes. Again,
> adding document IDs/labels to this structure had to be done from
> memory.

So I guess unpublished documents should also be listed when doing
"insert by query".

>     * Switching between the navigation structure editor and the page
> editor was tedious. I understand the power of this separation, but
> from a usability point of view it would be nice to make the management
> of a page's location possible from the page itself.

Yes - though it's very hard to make people believe that THERE'S NO
HIERARCHY IN THE REPOSITORY when content can be inserted from a
taxonomy.

> I think it's going to prove difficult for editors to make significant
> structural changes due to this lack of visibility and immediate
> feedback. Incidentally, despite not having publish permissions, I can
> still see a checkbox saying "Publish changes immediately" when I edit
> a page.

Useful feedback!

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org