Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Ludwig Magnusson <lu...@itcatapult.com> on 2009/11/05 11:37:18 UTC

What is the state of turbine?

Hello!

I am currently working in a big web application project with a few fellow
developers. When we started out we were discussing a lot on which framework
to use. I was familiar with turbine and I liked it very much. However the
others were skeptical since there is very few persons involved in turbine at
the moment. We decided to work with php and Zend and we have made a quite
cool alpha version of out app. However, me and the other main developer
(both computer engineers) have realized that the php community does not have
very good understanding of concepts as best practices when it comes to
object orienting, testing, database management and so on. Especially for
complex applications. We are now considering switching framework and we are
looking at java-based frameworks. (Because java rules)

We have looked at other apache frameworks such as tapestry and struts (which
are much more active). But to me it seems as if they do not address the
things that I really like about turbine and that I feel are basic in the
kind of application we are developing. For instance no other framework seems
to have a user class (or interface) which I think is a basic feature since
validations on the user are done on almost every page. Further on, if there
is some kind of permission system, it is always role-based and not
group-role-based which we need.

So my question is.. Is turbine dying? Or is it already dead? And why?

I am not _that_ experienced in developing complex web applications. Does
turbine have some kind of major flaw that I don't see?

What I like and what I am looking for is this:

-          The security system - group-role-based

-          Tight integration with velocity (which of course can be
accomplished in other frameworks as struts). And what I like with velocity
is that the templates looks very much like static html, i.e. they are very
readable. I don't like jsp.

-          The torque object model that is generated

-          A clear file structure for the environment. (What I like in
turbine is that I can create a folder for x number of pages and then create
a default.java class in the corresponding package and have the same
permission check for all those pages)

The biggest flaw I think turbine has is that it isn't really maven 2
compatible. I really like working with maven, but I prefer not to use
version 1.

I'm just sending this since I think it's sad that it is not used anymore and
I wonder why.

Any reply/discussion would be appreciated.

/Ludwig

RE: What is the state of turbine?

Posted by Ludwig Magnusson <lu...@greenstreetconsulting.se>.
Great!
Do you mean a project that contains a pom-file and properties files for
turbine, velocity and torque?
Or did I misunderstand?
/Ludwig

Posted by Ludwig Magnusson <lu...@greenstreetconsulting.se>.
Hi Jürgen!
I have now configured a skeleton turbine project with torque for maven 2.
If you still have some files for me I would appreciate them. Always good
with input.

Posted by Jürgen Hoffmann <ho...@apache.org>.
Hi Ludwig,

Posted by Jürgen Hoffmann <ho...@apache.org>.
Hi Ludwig,

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
On 05.11.09 19:53, Ludwig Magnusson wrote:
> Let me reply to both Sheldon and Jürgen.
> The main concern of my team is that the project will close down. What will
> happened then? What if other frameworks develop interesting features and
> turbine stays behind?

Well, this one is easy. If you see a feature missing, come on and
contribute. There is a proposal for OSGi integration, the new
architecture allows for easier extension etc etc. We will be happy to
integrate whatever seems to fit.

As you can see, we released more than a fistful of components to be
integrated in Turbine 4.0 alone this year. Dead projects look different.

> I also believe that turbine is stalbe and robust if you have an application
> running it. But there is actually a lot of bugs connected to M.E.T.A and the
> setting up of a new project.
> Perhaps this is a thing that blocks new users?

Difficult question. I never used META myself. In any case, feel free to
address whatever you feel needs to be changed. This is an open source
project after all.

Bye, Thomas.

RE: What is the state of turbine?

Posted by Tony Oslund <To...@prepare-enrich.com>.