Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by rb...@covalent.net on 2001/02/05 02:36:59 UTC

Tree tagged.

The tree has been tagged with APACHE_2_0_BETA_CANDIDATE_1.  I have put a
copy of the tree with that tag at dev.apache.org/dist/httpd-2.0bc1.tar.gz

This tarball should be tested by everybody who is interested in Apache
2.0.  If everybody agrees, then this tag can be used as a basis to release
the first beta version of Apache 2.0 either Tuesday or Wednesday this
week.

So, let's shoot for a Wednesday morning roll of the beta.  That means we
need at least 3 +1's, and no -1's before Wednesday morning.  Of course,
the tree was never frozen, so people should continue to commit code.

BTW, I have been testing this tree for a while, and I am running it on my
home site, so I will be the first to stand up and say +1.

I would also like to see this activated on apache.org.  I believe we have
fixed most of the seg faults, from looking at the
/usr/local/apache2/corefiles directory.  There are a total of 34 core
files, and all but three were fixed by Jeff Trawick late last week.  The
three remaining are the stack corruption people are tracking down.  I
don't know how long it took to generate those core files, but I don't
believe that three core files is enough to take the apache.org site down.

We can continue to update the server software as we find and fix this
problem.

Just my own 0.02.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: Tree tagged.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 08:35:21PM +1000, Brian Havard wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2001 17:36:59 -0800 (PST), rbb@covalent.net wrote:
>
> >The tree has been tagged with APACHE_2_0_BETA_CANDIDATE_1.  I have put a
> >copy of the tree with that tag at dev.apache.org/dist/httpd-2.0bc1.tar.gz
> >
> >This tarball should be tested by everybody who is interested in Apache
> >2.0.  If everybody agrees, then this tag can be used as a basis to release
> >the first beta version of Apache 2.0 either Tuesday or Wednesday this
> >week.
>
> Err, this came about a bit quick. Your scoreboard changes broke the OS/2
> MPM big time & I'm still picking up the pieces. I've got it back to a state
> where it compiles & serves pages but mod_status's output is still mostly
> wrong & I was going to try to get it right before commiting the lot.

Okay... well, then we can nix this tarball and tag/roll another later this
week.

No big deal :-)

Roy's point was exactly this: tag/roll tarballs at will. If they seem fine,
then we release them. Otherwise, we just punt it and go for another one.

This is also why trying to label things as "beta candidate" or whatever is
troublesome. It really isn't, and somebody yanking it from the /dist/
directory could be misled. I might even suggest that we create a directory
called /dist/unreleased/ and drop them in there. We place them in dist after
they've been qualified.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Tree tagged.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
Woo! That's the spirit!

;-)

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 06:30:25AM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > >This tarball should be tested by everybody who is interested in Apache
> > >2.0.  If everybody agrees, then this tag can be used as a basis to release
> > >the first beta version of Apache 2.0 either Tuesday or Wednesday this
> > >week.
> >
> > Err, this came about a bit quick. Your scoreboard changes broke the OS/2
> > MPM big time & I'm still picking up the pieces. I've got it back to a state
> > where it compiles & serves pages but mod_status's output is still mostly
> > wrong & I was going to try to get it right before commiting the lot.
>
> This was just a tag, so that we could start to tag every week.  If this
> doesn't work on OS/2, then we wait until next week, and tag again, not a
> problem at all.  I may tag in the middle of this week, so that we can get
> the procedure right.
>
> Ryan

> 406 29th St.
> San Francisco, CA 94131