Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1995/05/29 00:25:28 UTC

config variables on virtual hosts

I had a request to allow the httpd.h-defined "User" and "Group" variables
to be settable per virtual host - I suppose this would be good for ISP's
which allow virtual hosts for their clients and want to allow them to
configure everything without hurting the other users.  In fact, it would
seem to make sense to me to allow *everything* to be settable per virtual
host.  Does that make sense?  If so, what if we rearranged it such that
instead of a <VirtualHost> config option, we had something like a
virtual.conf, with hostnames/IP numbers pointing to different httpd.h's
(which themselves could point to other srm.conf's and access.conf's).
For reasons of memory allocation and legacy data structures it might mean
running a separate root-level httpd for each virtual host, it would seem
to me.... but if not, it would be really nice.  Furthermore, most sites
I've worked on run more than one server (like organic and wired), one
public and usually two or three internal ones.  This could be used as a
way to consolidate that... thoughts?

	Brian