Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2008/12/11 17:55:13 UTC

Grey list in OFBiz [was Re: Discussion: Permissions Checking Enhancement]

I think the phrase "grey list" is easier to speak about this functionnality and easier to understand and remember. So I propose to
use it rather than the tarpit word when speaking about this at large (I will change Entities names, fields, etc. accordinlgly when
appropriate)

As we use a prepocessor, to avoid any bad surprise later, I propose we introduce in site-conf.xsd an attribute allowGrayList in
request-map element. It would work like track-visit and track-serverhit being true by default (though I wonder if we should not do
reverse to false).

Jacques

Re: Grey list in OFBiz [was Re: Discussion: Permissions Checking Enhancement]

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Did not find anything clear, anyway this will not prevent me to sleep at night :o)

Jacques

From: "Adam Heath" <do...@brainfood.com>

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Adam Heath" <do...@brainfood.com>

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Adrian Crum" <ad...@hlmksw.com>
> Maybe we should also decide on whether it is spelled "grey" or "gray." ;-)

I fight hard to write correctly grey but as with prodcut most of the time I failed and write gray (here I must say I"m not a
dyslexic). For prodcut I don't know why (though I suspect our hands to be used to the word cut) but have a look at
http://www.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?local=y&forum=2740&query=prodcut : I'm not the only one :D

For gray may be I'm influenced by Scott's name ?

Anyway I have changed my mind and I think it does not make sense to call something grey list at this stage, protected-view seems a
better name. The grey list concept will be at used at the end of the process. When a login is unable to access a view again without
admin intervention.

About the protect-view attribute (was allowGrayList below), I think now that we should better set it to false by default. This will
make the process a bit faster since most of the time views will not be protected. BTW I wrote something to deal with that in
RequestHandler.doRequest but I'm really not satisified by my solution (I hard coded a method name). I put it in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-2074 for review. I will try to rewrite it today, suggestions highly appreciated.

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Raj,