Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Alan Chaney <al...@mechnicality.com> on 2012/02/22 19:03:51 UTC

Using HBase as ACL store for Spring Security

Hi

We are using Spring Security and HBase in our product. We are adding ACL
support through Spring and are looking at implementing the ACL store in
HBase. I just wondered if anyone else has done this, and if so, maybe
they could share code/experiences?

Regards

Alan Chaney

Re: Using HBase as ACL store for Spring Security

Posted by Alan Chaney <al...@mechnicality.com>.
On 2/22/2012 12:14 PM, Enis Söztutar wrote:
> Interesting use case. For your product, do you also need to secure hbase as
> well?
What do you mean "secure hbase"? We use hbase to store information which
has different ownerships and permissions, but the store is only
accessible by our software, acting as a global user. At the moment the
ACLs are held in a RDBMS. Spring Security has OIDs which reference the
elements in the database (they are actually the row IDs). We just want
to store the ACLs in hbase as well, because we expect that there will be
lots of them.

An ACL is not often modified, and I believe that all of the information
can be held in one row, so I don't think that there exceptionally
difficult transaction-related issues to solve, but confirming that will
be part of the challenge should we decide to develop our own solution.

We intend to make the solution open-source if we do go down that route
(after all, theoretically its just an extension to the Spring Security
ACL module)

Regards

Alan

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.