Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Todd O'Bryan <to...@mac.com> on 2004/02/10 14:59:49 UTC

GETTING_STARTED with TDK 2.3

Below is a little web-page with rather detailed instructions about what
one has to do to get most of the way in using TDK 2.3. Unfortunately,
I've gotten stuck. But at least from this you'll know what I've done,
and can maybe give some feedback about where I went wrong. Note the
number of vague things that needed to be fleshed out (about where the
four jars you have to manually download have to end up, for example).

Todd

<h2>Installation Directions for the Turbine Development Kit (TDK)
2.3</h2>

Decent instructions can be found at the
Started</a>
site. Note that you only need to get as far as the "Install" step. Note
also
that if you follow the directions on the "Install" page, your local
Maven
repository will be created in a <code>.maven</code> folder inside your
home
folder. Below, I'll use $MAVEN-REPOSITORY to stand for that folder,
which is
~/.maven/repository by default. You should also create an environment
variable
for <code>$MAVEN_HOME</code>, and make sure
<code>$MAVEN_HOME/bin</code> is on
your path.</p>

necessary.<br/>
(Right now the directions say you have to download from CVS, which I
did. It
would be nice if you could grab the latest packaged download instead.
Once I get my build working, I'll check if that works before I go
through
instructions for CVS.)</p>

Change to the TDK top level directory and just run <code>maven</code>
at the
command line. You'll probably get a message that some files couldn't be
downloaded. We'll get them in the next step, but it's important that
you run
Maven first so it will set up the folders we'll copy those files
into.</p>

automatically.<br/>
You'll need four files that require accepting a license agreement and
so can't
be automatically downloaded by Maven. They are:
<ol>
<li>The JavaBeans Activation Framework, version 1.0.2</li>
<li>JavaMail, version 1.3.1</li>
<li>JDBC, version 2.0</li>
<li>JNDI, version 1.2.1</li>
</ol>

href="http://java.sun.com/products/javabeans/glasgow/jaf.html">
JavaBeans Activation Framework</a>. Once there, click on the Download
button near the
bottom of the page, accept the license agreement, and download
jaf-1_0_2.zip on
the next page. If the zip file doesn't expand automatically, unzip
it.</p>

JavaMail</a>. Click on Downloads in the top left of the site, and then
the
Continue button under Download JavaMail FCS 1.3.1. Accept the license
agreement
and download javamail-1_3_1.zip and make sure it's unzipped.</p>

href="http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/">JDBC</a>.
Click on Download in the upper left, then JDBC 2.0 Optional Package
API. Click
on the Continue button for JDBC 2.0 Optional Package Binary. Agree to
the license
agreement, and download jdbc2_0-stdext.jar.</p>

href="http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/">JNDI</a> site.
Click on Downloads and on the top pull-down menu (It's called "Download
JNDI 1.2.1
&amp; more".) select "JNDI 1.2.1 Class Libraries" and click Continue.
Accept the
license agreement, download jndi-1_2_1.zip and make sure it's
unzipped.</p>

repository.<br/>
 From your download directory, you need to copy the files you just got
to specific
places in the Maven repository and rename them so that they match what
Maven is
looking for. Assuming you're using Unix, here are the commands
involved:<pre><code>
cp jaf-1.0.2/activation.jar
$MAVEN_REPOSITORY/jaf/jars/activation-1.0.2.jar
cp javamail-1.3.1/mail.jar
$MAVEN_REPOSITORY/javamail/jars/javamail-1.3.1.jar
cp jdbc2_0-stdext.jar $MAVEN_REPOSITORY/jdbc/jars/jdbc-2.0.jar
cp jndi-1_2_1/lib/jndi.jar
$MAVEN_REPOSITORY/jndi/jars/jndi-1.2.1.jar</code></pre>
If you're on Windows, substitute (what's the Windows command for cp) and
backslashes.</p>

<code>maven</code>.
Here's where I got a bunch of errors.</p>