Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Audrey MORELLE <au...@yahoo.fr> on 2007/01/11 14:25:44 UTC

RE : Re: Portlet Application not available

Aaron Evans <aa...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> On 1/2/07, David Sean Taylor wrote:
> > Audrey MORELLE wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have two problems that I don't understand.
> > >
> > > The first :
> > >
> > > Sometimes I deploy my portlet application (which is already deployed
> > > and working before) and I get this error : Portlet Application X not
> > > available But the thing that looks strange to me is that I have
> > > sometimes 1 or 2 portlets of the page which are working not the
> > > others, how is it possible if they come from the application which is
> > > said as not available ?!
> > >
> > > I'm note sure if my english is clear, so to recapitulate. (With
> > > fictitious names) I have 2 portlets P1 and P2 in the application
> > > portlet AP. I already deployed this AP and my two portlets are
> > > working on my page, everything is ok. Then I put my new version of
> > > AP.war in deploy directory and it is correctly (log are ok like other
> > > times) and fully deployed (I checked all files in the
> > > webapps/AP/WEB-INF directory). I refresh my page containing my two
> > > portlets and there, only P1 works, P2 shows "Portlet Application AP
> > > not available". In the console, I only have my trace of P1 and
> > > nothing about P2, not even an error. If I try to deploy another time,
> > > It's the same problème P1 is ok, P2 doesn't work. The only thing to
> > > do is to restart...
> > >
> > > I don't know what is the problem...
> >
> > I haven't seen that one either. Usually when there is a failure, its on
> > the entire portlet application, not just one of the portlets, and not
> > the other ones. This kind of problem is usually because of jar locking
> > on Windows, but that doesn't sound like the case here
> >
> > Perhaps a review of the Jetspeed and Tomcat log files might uncover a
> > clue...
> > >

> I have seen this issue. Audrey, which version of jetspeed are you on?
> 2.0 I suspect...
>
> This happens to me when we re-deploy an app where there is a change to
> the portlet.xml file. Most of the time, all portlets in that web app
> are "hosed" (technical term meaning non-functional) until we restart
> jetspeed/tomcat but sometimes one or two of the portlets in that app
> continue to function. Not sure why.
>
> But in 2.0, if you make changes to portlet.xml, you have to restart
> and that fixes it. I believe this is fixed in 2.1.
>
> -aaron
  I'm using the version with installer so 2.0.
Jetspeed and Tomcat log files don't show anything interesting.
  I will then restart jetspeed when needed.

David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> a écrit :
> > Second problem :
> >
> > We have 2 tomcat with jetspeed but only 1 database, they are exactly
> > the same. But when I copy my application war in both deploy directory
> > (not at the same moment), only one deploy it correctly, it works
> > fine. The other one seems to deploy, log said it is deployed and the
> > war disappear from deploy directory, the war is the new one in
> > webapps directory but the application directory is the old one. What
> > happens ? Is there anything that tells that the application is
> > already deployed in the database ?
> >
> Yes, I know about that and will be working on a fix soon.
> In the meantime, recommend these steps:
>
> 1. deploy as usual to tomcat instance #1
> 2. copy the expanded portlet app from tomcat #1 to tomcat #2's webapps
> directory
>
> In this case, the second webapp will not re-register

  Is there any possibility to change information in database to force the deployement ? What are the data used to know if deployement is needed ?
I'm not sure to be able to copy only the webapps directory, our deployement script (from development environment to production) is not made to allow that.

  Audrey Morelle

---------------------------------

RE : Re: Portlet Application not available

Posted by Audrey MORELLE <au...@yahoo.fr>.
> 1. manually 'infuse' the Jetspeed Container into the portlet
application's web.xml

  I don't understand what do you mean by "infuse the Jetspeed Container". Can you explain ?

  > 3. 4.

  So I just have to drop my war file in both webapps directory, nothing in deploy directory ?

  Thank you for your answer.

  Audrey Morelle

  Audrey MORELLE wrote:
> Any idea about "Is there any possibility to change information in
> database to force the deployement ? What are the data used to know if
> deployement is needed ?" ?

We have been testing this with the latest SVN trunk, I don't see where
the second deployment actually forces a re-registration of the portlet
application. The checksum test always works here.

Here are the steps I took, with two Tomcat servers (tomcat-1, tomcat-2)

1. manually 'infuse' the Jetspeed Container into the portlet
application's web.xml

2. build the portlet application war file, we'll call it "pa.war"

3. drop pa.war into tomcat-1/webapps directory
Tomcat picks up the new war file, deploys the new application
In the servlet init of the Jetspeed Container, a checksum test
is applied. A new checksum is detected, and the portlet application
is re-registered with Jetspeed.

4. drop pa.war into tomcat-2/webapps directory
Tomcat picks up the new war file, deploys the new application
In the servlet init of the Jetspeed Container, a checksum test
is applied. A new checksum is NOT detected, since we already
deployed to tomcat-1, and the portlet application is NOT re-registered
with Jetspeed.

5. navigate to either tomcat-1 or tomcat-2, both correctly show the
latest pa.war portlets

The one outstanding problem, which we are working on a fix, is with the
search indexes. Should have a patch ready this week

Re: RE : Re: Portlet Application not available

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Audrey MORELLE <au...@yahoo.fr>.
Any idea about "Is there any possibility to change information in database to force the deployement ? What are the data used to know if deployement is needed ?" ?

  Audrey Morelle