Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Richard Gaywood <ri...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/07 11:52:58 UTC

Sending "%20" in a HTTPRequest

Hi list! I've been gone a long time, but I'm afraid I'm back.

I have a HTTPRequest HTTPClient sampler with a number of POST parameters in
it. One of the parameter values is:
    London%2c%20United%20Kingdom
however monitoring the HTTP flow with Fiddler, I see JMeter send:
    London%2C+United+Kingdom
even though the "encode" checkbox is unticked (indeed, ticking it makes it
go on a rampage and encode all those % signs).

Now, I'm sure that well-behaved clients, when receiving those strings,
shouldn't care about the difference between encoding a space as "+" or
"%20". I can also see the website I'm hitting on not working, so I suspect
it's not well-behaved. It functions fine when driven via IE, which (again,
from Fiddler) sends "London%2C%20United%20Kingdom". Is there some way I can
stop JMeter from changing my encoding like this?

Oh, and if I set the parameter value to "London, United Kingdom" and tick
"encode", it still sends "London%2C+United+Kingdom" on the wire.