Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <jw...@apache.org> on 2005/04/22 15:25:58 UTC

[trunk] usecase fw error messages

Hi all,

I think it would make sense to be able to pass parameters to the error
messages in usecases, for user-friendlier messages.
Example: user tries to add an LDAP user, but the ID "ldapId" is unknown
in LDAP:
     addErrorMessage("ldap_no_such_id", new String[]{ldapId})
When rendering the error messages, any parameters attached could be
passed to i18n (IIUC this happens in messages.jx), and used in the
corresponding dictionary, e.g.
     <message key="ldap_no_such_id">The ID {0} does not exist in the
LDAP  directory</message>

WDYT ?

Re: [trunk] usecase fw error messages

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
J. Wolfgang Kaltz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think it would make sense to be able to pass parameters to the error
> messages in usecases, for user-friendlier messages.
> Example: user tries to add an LDAP user, but the ID "ldapId" is unknown
> in LDAP:
>     addErrorMessage("ldap_no_such_id", new String[]{ldapId})
> When rendering the error messages, any parameters attached could be
> passed to i18n (IIUC this happens in messages.jx), and used in the
> corresponding dictionary, e.g.
>     <message key="ldap_no_such_id">The ID {0} does not exist in the
> LDAP  directory</message>

+1

Re: [trunk] usecase fw error messages

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <jw...@apache.org>.
Jann Forrer schrieb:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, J. Wolfgang Kaltz wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I think it would make sense to be able to pass parameters to the error
>>messages in usecases, for user-friendlier messages.
>>Example: user tries to add an LDAP user, but the ID "ldapId" is unknown
>>in LDAP:
>>     addErrorMessage("ldap_no_such_id", new String[]{ldapId})
>>When rendering the error messages, any parameters attached could be
>>passed to i18n (IIUC this happens in messages.jx), and used in the
>>corresponding dictionary, e.g.
>>     <message key="ldap_no_such_id">The ID {0} does not exist in the
>>LDAP  directory</message>
>>
>>WDYT ?
>>

> Good idea. It is somehow boring for a user if he get a error screens
> with a useless message or even with java error messages ...

Agreed.
The usecase framework in fact does already handle (expected) error
messages quite nicely; the question now is how to best go about
internationalizing those error messages that have parameters.

Wolfgang

Re: [trunk] usecase fw error messages

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, J. Wolfgang Kaltz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think it would make sense to be able to pass parameters to the error
> messages in usecases, for user-friendlier messages.
> Example: user tries to add an LDAP user, but the ID "ldapId" is unknown
> in LDAP:
>      addErrorMessage("ldap_no_such_id", new String[]{ldapId})
> When rendering the error messages, any parameters attached could be
> passed to i18n (IIUC this happens in messages.jx), and used in the
> corresponding dictionary, e.g.
>      <message key="ldap_no_such_id">The ID {0} does not exist in the
> LDAP  directory</message>
>
> WDYT ?

Good idea. It is somehow boring for a user if he get a error screens
with a useless message or even with java error messages ...

Jann