Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Zdeeck Kudrle <zd...@atc.cz> on 1999/03/11 15:53:57 UTC

general/4041: Apache doesn't answer when in huge traffic

>Number:         4041
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Apache doesn't answer when in huge traffic
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Well,
We are running huge database. After installing new kernels , everything seemed
to be OK, but in critical hours, when the traffic is very high, apache simply
'fell' down. He(?:) didn't answer, but there were about 80 httpds running, kernel
said 'waiting'. We tried to telnet on port 80, but 'connection timed out'.
MaxAllowed was 256, but no other apaches were forked. In kernel 2.0.36 is
everything OK. (or should I report this to kernel-bugs?)
Sorry for my English... :(
>How-To-Repeat:
Eh, we can't provide you repeatment, 'cos we are quite small firm with  lot
of customers providing them free-email. Look at: http://www.email.cz
And this is very critical section of our business.
>Fix:
It seems to me, that kernel doesn't want to fork another httpd. _Very_ strange.