Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com> on 2008/02/01 19:32:54 UTC

RFC: UI Refactor Part 2

Thanks to Marco's tireless work refactoring the back office UI to use the new styles, we are almost
at a point where the deprecated styles can be removed from the back office main style sheet. So, I
thought I'd share some ideas I've come up with since the UI refactoring effort started and ask for
comments.

1. Change the head1, head2, and head3 style names to h1, h2, and h3. This will make those styles
more interchangeable with <h> elements. So, you could have

<h1>Some big bold text</h1>

or

2. Remove color attributes from the h1 - h3 styles and have them inherit their container's colors.
This would make those styles more generic and reusable. We could use the h1 - h3 styles mainly for
font size standardization, and leave any additional styling to the container. This approach will
also reduce the complexity of the main style sheet.

Markup can be simplifed by using the h1 - h3 styles as decorators for other styles. For example,
instead of:

   <h3>Some Title Text</h3>

you could have

   Some Title Text

This approach would fix a layout bug in the screenlet title bar. It would also work better with the
screen widget's HTML output.

Idea #1 is a simple search and replace operation. Idea #2 will take more work because the style
change will break existing layout. Those instances will be easy to find though, by searching for the
particular styles.

3. Work on better IE7 compatibility. When I first created the new styles, everything rendered
looking pretty much the same in Firefox and IE7. Now IE7 doesn't render as well. I don't know what
changed, but I'd like to investigate it and get that fixed.

4. Once the back office style sheet has the deprecated styles removed and some tweaks done, it would
be nice to bring the new styles and the lessons learned over into the ecommerce style sheet.

That's it. What do you think? Does anyone else have any ideas?

-Adrian

Re: RFC: UI Refactor Part 2

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1