Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Stanislav Lukyanov <st...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/29 10:50:38 UTC

RE: IgniteConfiguration, TcpDiscoverySpi, TcpCommunicationSpitimeouts

Val,

Which timeouts do you mean?

In #2 I don’t propose to change behavior.

I propose to change behavior for a couple of settings in #3 though.
I believe the correct approach here would be to target the behavior change for 2.6,
but keep in mind that we’ll need to carefully analyze the impact before actually making the changes.

Thanks,
Stan

Posted by Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stan,

I have one more point that I'm trying to clarify. You mentioned that
clientFailureDetectionTimeout is ignored by client nodes. But if so, what
happens on the client side in case of network failure (i.e. if both client
and server nodes are alive but can't communicate with each other)? It
sounds like client will disconnect after failureDetectionTimeout, while
server will remove the client after clientFailureDetectionTimeout. Is this
correct? If yes, I think this can lead to very strange behavior if those
timeouts are different.

What do you think? Is this a valid concern?

-Val

Posted by Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stanislav Lukyanov <st...@gmail.com>.
Server will use its failureDetectionTimeout when talking to servers and clientFailureDetectionTimeout when talking to clients.
E.g. a Communication link from server to server uses a failureDetectionTimeout, and server to client uses a clientFailureDetectionTimeout.

Client will use its failureDetectionTimeout all the time, ignoring clientFailureDetectionTimeout.

Posted by Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Stan,

Posted by Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Stan,

Posted by Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Stan,

Posted by Stanislav Lukyanov <st...@gmail.com>.
On networkTimeout: no, we don’t have anything like that in TcpCommunicationSpi.

On socketWriteTimeout:
First, its semantic is very close to TcpDicsoverySpi.socketTimeout (with the exception that communication uses NIO), and the latter defaults to failureDetectionTimeout,
so I think it would help to avoid confusion.
Second, I think we can’t deprecate something without an alternative that would work for most users.
On the other hand, if we do default socketWriteTimeout to failureDetectionTimeout then we reach a pretty decent API state
where one only needs two properties in IgniteConfiguration neither of which we’re considering for deprecation and removal in 3.0.

Stan

I do agree that TcpDiscoverySpi.networkTimeout should inherit from
IgniteConfiguration.networkTImeout if not set explicitly. Do we have the
same setting for TcpCommunicationSpi, BTW? If yes, behavior should be
consistent.

As for TcpCommunicationSpi.socketWriteTimeout, I'm not sure why you want to

Posted by Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Stan,